Maker Pro
Maker Pro

help finding data on this IC

Maxwell

Oct 1, 2016
Hey,

I can't seem to find any data on this IC. It's a frequency generator for an SMPS, but i'm not sure about it's output, frequency, power etc.

I'm looking for a replacement as this IC is no longer generating a signal, but unsure what to get. There seem to be plenty available of these from china, but i'm not looking to wait quite that long.

Power Intergrations CP3001RN, i'm assuming it's a TO263 package?

Attachments

• 20170105_222748.jpg
    20170105_222748.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 82

Maxwell

Oct 1, 2016
I'm thinking about replacing it with the TOP242R, has a 15 watt output and selectable frequency of 66 or 132Khz. The sheet said it takes AC input but the reference design includes a full wave rectifier so, considering the psu has a full bridge rectifier i think i'm solid, that is if the frequency is compatible... I have no idea, but most of these seem to operate on either 66khz or 130khz, so i guess that should work either way? 15Watts seems plenty for this board...

Jumping into the deep i guess

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I can't seem to find any data on this IC. It's a frequency generator for an SMPS, but i'm not sure about it's output, frequency, power etc.
. The sheet said it takes AC input but the reference design includes a full wave rectifier so, considering the psu has a full bridge rectifier i think i'm solid, that is if the frequency is compatible

I think you don't quite understand what these chips do.
They are switching controller IC's. They DONT have an output. They sample the voltage from the DC output side of the of the PSU and use that to control the
switching duty cycle (switching speed) if the FET. This FET is in the transformer primary circuit of the SMPS.
varying the duty cycle keeps the output voltage steady ... ie. regulated

am still looking for data on your original chip

Maxwell

Oct 1, 2016
The way i understand this chip is that it's a switch, just like any other transistor, but with added features. It has a current output, ie it passes current through it, so it has a max output power, right?

So my questions/concerns about it are as follows:

- Frequency: mostly i see these chips have either 66khz or 130khz operation. So if the transformer is designed to operate with > 66Khz, and the switch isn't, the output on the secondary side will either be too low or will drop out when too much current is drawn from it.

- Max rated power: These chips have a max power rating, I'm assuming 15 watts will be enough, but I don't really know that for sure. Why i'm assuming this is because other boards that I've seen that have a similar build have chips on them rated 15 watts or less.

- Drain voltage: The datasheet for similar chips say it's main voltage rated, but that seems to be the line input, not the drain pin voltage. I measured about 30 Volts on the pin, but not sure that it is what it's supposed to be, also different chips have varying input tolerance on the drain pin, so yeah, issues.

I picked the TOP 242R because it can go up to 132Khz, or operate in 66Khz mode by setting the frequency pin, has a max output of 15w and because it seems to take up to 700v on the drain pin.

I understand there's a lot more to it than this however. There's a lot of data on this device, half of which I have only a vague idea of what it means, The chips seems to fit the bill from my limited understanding of it's main function. The rest I have no idea of, hence jumping in the deep.

I believe this chip is a custom job. It's mode by power integration for sure, but they don't have any data on it. This board comes out of a Miele appliance, and I suspect that power integration made this chip custom for Miele. Like i said, there's a lot of knock off's available from china, but waiting 2 months for a shipment is not what i had in mind.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
It has a current output, ie it passes current through it, so it has a max output power, right?

no, it doesn't supply a current output ... ... passing current and outputting current are two different things

- Frequency: mostly i see these chips have either 66khz or 130khz operation.

that signal doesn't leave the chip ... it is just the frequency that the internal FET is switched at
so Im not sure how you determined that it wasn't present

Max rated power: These chips have a max power rating, I'm assuming 15 watts will be enough,

yes, the power rating of the FET when a given voltage and current are present

I picked the TOP 242R because it can go up to 132Khz, or operate in 66Khz mode by setting the frequency pin, has a max output of 15w and because it seems to take up to 700v on the drain pin.

it should do the same thing (looking at the datasheet) .... beware tho that it may not be pin for pin compatible ... I still cant find data on your original chip

consider that the chip may be OK and it is the control signal to it via a opto-coupler that may be missing

Maxwell

Oct 1, 2016
no, it doesn't supply a current output ... ... passing current and outputting current are two different things

Right, so it just needs to be rated to pass enough current then?

that signal doesn't leave the chip ... it is just the frequency that the internal FET is switched at
so Im not sure how you determined that it wasn't present

I probed the drain pin and did not see a PWM signal there. It's getting 30V DC.

it should do the same thing (looking at the datasheet) .... beware tho that it may not be pin for pin compatible ... I still cant find data on your original chip

consider that the chip may be OK and it is the control signal to it via a opto-coupler that may be missing

The optocoupler read 0v DC.