Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Hello, Welcome! (Introduce yourself)

A123rc

Oct 17, 2011
hi , everyone~

Hi, everyone, I'm Trista, OK, hope to have a good time here!

Last edited:

A123rc

Oct 17, 2011
Introduce myself!

Hi, everyone, I'm Trista, I'm a Chinese, I'm interested in many many things , like swimming, blogging, singing, dancing, electronics, so if you have the same hobbies, contact me, OK, hope to have a good time here!

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi. I'm interested in making LED sculptures using photovoltaics and also using wireless signals to modulate the patterns of LED illumination, far down the road, hopefully.

hey Kerberus

welcome to the forums :)

sounds like some fun stuff.. keep in touch with the forum and let us know who its all working out

cheers
Dave

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi, everyone, I'm Trista, I'm a Chinese, I'm interested in many many things , like swimming, blogging, singing, dancing, electronics, so if you have the same hobbies, contact me, OK, hope to have a good time here!

hi Trista
welcome :)

thats a good range of interests you have there :)
Where in China are you ?

cheers
Dave

peterlonz

Feb 11, 2010
Hello everyone,
I've visited many times & learnt a lot but until now I have not posted.
I gather here is the place for new posts for those in my position.

So recently our Fisher & Paykel domestic washing machine stopped working with a bang & blew the house RCD breaker.
I investigated & quickly found a blown power component on the motor control board.
Now Fisher & Paykel have a great patented system they call SmartDrive. They have eliminated gearboxes & belts by building a hi torque "pancake motor" which they control through all phases of the machines cycle.
It's all rather clever but the execution is questioned by many.
For example the motor control board power components are all water cooled via an aluminium pipe that runs the length of the circuit board & to which the power components are clamped. Surprisingly they seem to have this part of the execution well managed.
In my case I found a blown 3 pin PWM switch (Power Integration TOP224Y). The source pin had disintegrated & the body had shed carbon over the circuit board & board components in it's immediate vicinity.
So I figure that if I remove the local components & clean up the board, then replace with new components I have a chance at least of a repair.
Of course the fault origin could lie elsewhere but I have a service manual which allows various resistance checks which is all any serviceman could do if he was fitting a brand new board.
BTW new board cost $170.................Ahhhhhhh
The board area concerned is too small for me to get a decent pic although for anyone with a wider interest in this unusual control solution I'd be happy to take a few CB pics.
In all I have removed:
2 x electrolytic caps (22UF & 220UF - 35VDC )
1 x TOP224Y 3 pin switch
1 x Zener transient voltage suppressor (P6KE200A by Motorola)
1 X Ultra fast Avalanche Sintered Diode (Vishay BYV26C)
1 x Unknown very small diode like component body length about 2.5-3 mm X Diam about 1.2-1.5mm

Obviously I can obtain all the identified components but with one unknown this is not going to help much.
The manufacturer is extremely resistant to detailed help & no-one here attempts board repairs so I am styied for now.
My suspicion is a Schottky, but I can't find any made this size.
The component may be intact (assuming my clumsy de-soldering was not destructive) so if I knew what tests to run that would be one avenue for further investigation.
Both sides of the CB & all other components appear perfectly normal.
The circuit is quite complex & without component removal for ID it's hard to specify what the other components are exactly.
Could someone please suggest my best course of action from here.
I have tried to provide enough detail but please ask if you need more.
Thanks
Peter O

con3636

Nov 30, 2011
Hello!

Hey everyone, I'll be making a post soon looking for some help fixing bad radio reception. I hope I can get some help.

kcroy

Jan 29, 2012
intro

hi - working my way through Electronics for Dummies. Looking for a forum for my random "wait..what?" moments.

I'm interested in being able to fix things around the house, as well as crud I find at goodwill :)

Mostly just curious - never had a good grasp on electricity, so figured I'd just jump on in.

Current projects are:
-broken amp (have pulled one cap, and trying to ID some parts)
-testing various pieces of junk to see why they are broken

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi kcroy

welcome to electronics point
hopefully you will sit back and make yourself comfortable :)

cheers
Dave

Gammon

Feb 10, 2012
Hi everyone!

Great forum here with some interesting topics being discussed. Hopefully I can stick around and contribute to some good threads!

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hey Gammon

welcome to the forums, sit back, relax and join in the discussions :)

Dave

dmilamj

Feb 21, 2012
Greetings from Houston, TX

Hi,

I'm an acoustical consultant in Houston who is interested in electronics for signal processing, DC power supply and battery charging, home wiring and home appliance repair.

This is a great forum and I look forward to learning some stuff!

Dave

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hey Dave
welcome to the forums :)

gosh 2006 was the last time I was in Houston, enjoyed the visit to the space flight centre

Dave

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
greetings Jose
welcome to the Electronics point forums :)

Dave

partikj123

Feb 21, 2012
Hello everyone
I am new to this forum.Hope you will help me out in my difficulties!

Thanks

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Hello and welcome partikj123.

Find the appropriate place and post a question. If we can answer, I'm sure you'll find us happy to help.

gaetan8888

Mar 20, 2012
Hello

I'm in Canada, I do electronics as a hoby (mostly analog elect) since 1983

Bye

Gaetan