Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Hall effect with 5 amp draw

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
How about something like this? (below image)
I use this particular hall effect in a very similar fashion for ignition systems on miniature 4 stroke engines.
In that instance the metal strip is a series of metal "fan" blades (for want of a better wording)but the principle is the same.

Note the use of the small capacitor right on the supply terminals of the hall effect. Do not use without it.
Any type but I use a very small ceramic cap.

You can us a high current (60A) or so P type mosfet without changing anything.

Attachments

• HighSideSw.jpg
    HighSideSw.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 52

Steve Kaz

Mar 30, 2017
How about something like this? (below image)
I use this particular hall effect in a very similar fashion for ignition systems on miniature 4 stroke engines.
In that instance the metal strip is a series of metal "fan" blades (for want of a better wording)but the principle is the same.

Note the use of the small capacitor right on the supply terminals of the hall effect. Do not use without it.
Any type but I use a very small ceramic cap.

You can us a high current (60A) or so P type mosfet without changing anything.

I like the idea of using something iron to determine the pulse. How does that work? I literally place the magnet on the back side of the HALL and when iron swings in front of it it will latch? Do I need Omni of bipolar type sensor? I see you are using Omni but will a bipolar work as well?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I like the idea of using something iron to determine the pulse. How does that work? I literally place the magnet on the back side of the HALL and when iron swings in front of it it will latch? Do I need Omni of bipolar type sensor? I see you are using Omni but will a bipolar work as well?

You can find details of how this works on the Allegro web site.

Hall stays on so long as steel in front is present so technically it does not "latch" on.
Latching tends to infer that a reverse polarity is required to release so this is not the case.

No idea about different types of hall effect, I just pointed you to what has worked for me in the last 10-15 years.

Take note of the use of the small 0.01uF cap close to the base of the hall on the power leads.
It can save some headaches and head scratching.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
I don't quite understand the reason for placing magnet in front of the Hall effect?
Surely this will keep it on?
Otherwise the Honeywell appear almost the same in function.
M.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
You are correct AK.....my mistake. OK so reposition the mosfet to the bottom, change to N type and invert the hall signal with a small transistor.The magnet goes on the "back" of the hall effect like I said. You can check the reasoning on Allegro web site.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
.The magnet goes on the "back" of the hall effect like I said. .
Is there a link to this??

Also where a long distance/stretch is required on by a Sensor, a small button magnet can be placed at either end of the sense position and a latch/unlatch SS400 type could be used, the magnet either end would be opposite polarity.
M.