Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Guitar 4x10 Cab wiring

David Houghton

Nov 10, 2017
I have inherited a bass cab, changed out the speakers for my guitar. My amplifier is capable of 4,8,16ohms. For now I have put the speakers in series/parallel = 16ohms. I would like in the future to be able to utilize the 8ohm and or 4ohm input of my amp, so it would be a matter of plugging the guitar into the relevant jack. I am going to assume this requires the speaker count to be cut to two, so that it is wired in parallel to equal 8ohms. many thanks

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
I guess your amplifier uses obsolete vacuum tooobs so it has an output transformer with 4, 8 and 16 ohm taps?
Why on earth does your amplifier have 8 ohm and 4 ohm INPUTS? 8 ohms and 4 ohms are speaker OUTPUTS.
Why do you want to change the speakers wiring and count from 16 ohms to 8 ohms??

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
so it would be a matter of plugging the guitar into the relevant jack
Eh? No: it would be a matter of re-configuring the amp output and speaker connections.
If the speakers are each 16Ω then you won't be able to use all four to match the 8Ω setting.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
I think he wants to blow up his guitar pickup by connecting it to the output of the amplifier and maybe connecting the speakers to the amplifier input as microphones?

Wayne Phillips

Jan 7, 2018
I have inherited a bass cab, changed out the speakers for my guitar. My amplifier is capable of 4,8,16ohms. For now I have put the speakers in series/parallel = 16ohms. I would like in the future to be able to utilize the 8ohm and or 4ohm input of my amp, so it would be a matter of plugging the guitar into the relevant jack. I am going to assume this requires the speaker count to be cut to two, so that it is wired in parallel to equal 8ohms. many thanks

You could parallel one pair of 8 ohms speakers giving 4 ohm and do the same with the next pair and then series the too 4ohms to give 8 ohm load.. by what is your amplifiers rated power?