Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Grounding Question

BPet2

May 28, 2018
Looking to tap my speaker wire and use a device to activate a 12V trigger when the music is on.

I Found a PAC TR-4.
https://pac-audio.com/catalog/specialty-items/tr-4

So, the volts to trip the trigger come from taping the speaker + wire. The speaker wire originates from my Whole Home Amplifier that is in the family room and the speakers are on the back patio and so that is where I will tap the wire. I'm planning to put a second amplifier outside and so the 12V trigger output on the TR-4 will turn on that amp. The TR-4 also has a lead for 12V+ input (which will come from a DC Power Adapter), 12V+ output(which will go to the Outside Amp trigger input), and a Ground lead.

The TR-4 is usually used in a car and the Ground would go to the car chassis - since I'm not using it in a car, where would the Ground Wire connect? I would think the Ground would be connected to the Negative wire on the DC Power Source. But how would the TR-4 Measure the Volts on the speaker Tap if it only has the + side of the circuit? Or should the Ground of the TR-4 be connected to the Negative side of the speaker wire?

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
Having had a quick look at the device, it looks as though you just connect it across the speaker leads.