Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Great forum, THANKS

kcoer

Dec 20, 2013
Many forums you see today are either too regulated ( eg the physics forums ) or not regulated at all. I would like to thank everyone here. Everyone is very helpful and respectful. Absolutely no trolls I have seen yet. Great forum, great people.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
We thank the Moderators.
On the occasion when some of us tread off the reservation, they pounch on us.
I agree. I come here because we get/offer help without the vitrial I see elsewhere.

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
pounch... is that a mix between pounce and punch? lol
the mods here are half the story, the community is the other half.
the mods keep everything easy going and the rest of the community seem very insightful.
as a whole the community is good so thanks to the original makers and thanks to EVERYONE that has kept it a good forum

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
as a whole the community is good so thanks to the original makers and thanks to EVERYONE that has kept it a good forum

Yeah, we do very little moderation of posts (aside from spam). It's really limited to the occasional moving/combining/de-duplicating of threads.

I give longer term members more leeway in their posting and trust them to self-moderate. Newer members may be given a little more "guidance".

We all have our off-days and I think that accepting that generates less problems than moderating it away.

Of course it helps that we're a small enough community that most people with significant post count tend to recognise everyone else. Keeping things personable is easier when you have more connection with the people that you're responding to.

Sometimes I think I'm the most curmudgeonly poster here, and I thank people in this thread for not outing me :p. So I'm not taking much credit for the praise, but I'm pleased I don't have to take a share of responsibility for a complaint :D

I really like it here too. That's the reason I hang around so much.

We've had a couple of members stop posting suddenly and it's heartening that this is noted by other members who have PM'ed us with concerns. There are a few that I still wonder about... It had sufficient impact in one case that the moderators swapped contact details. (I'll stop here lest I put a dampener on this thread)

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Everyone is very helpful and respectful.
Just as long as you don't spew pseudoscience!
Sometimes I think I'm the most curmudgeonly poster here, and I thank people in this thread for not outing me :p.
No, Steve. I know who deserves that award, and it's definitely not you :)

I agree. I really like the little community we have here, and I have a lot of respect for the regulars.

Also, we collectively have a wide range of experience in other fields related to electronics - microcontrollers, mechanical systems, power electronics, chemistry, and many others - and a range of attitudes from theoretical to hands-on.

I'm very happy to be here, and I'm happy to see the regular stream of new users. I feel proud to welcome them to the site, and to know that everyone here will be friendly and helpful.

I don't know what Ian was expecting when he created the site, but I think he should be pretty happy with how it is turning out.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Sometimes I think I'm the most curmudgeonly poster here,

Thesaurus
cur·mudg·eon (kr-mjn)
n.
An ill-tempered person full of resentment and stubborn notions.

LOL, I had to go look it up!!

been here for a wee few years now myself. Its definately a place I call home :)
and no matter how hard I try I just cannot keep up with Steve's post count haha ;)

when it comes to moderating and wielding a bit of sword, I only have a few pet peeves
spammers, people who wont listen when you tell them that their "free energy" ideas cannot work,
and the occassional obnoxious clown who, after a couple of years at basic electronics, think
they know more on the subject than anyone else on the planet :rolleyes:

my only complaint to many is ... I wish you would proof read before posting :)

I have this almost uncontrollable urge to fix typos everywhere haha
I will do it with thread titles and occassionally in a post if it makes the post clearer to understand.
The rest of the time I have to grit my teeth haha

Dave

Last edited:

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
Just as long as you don't spew pseudoscience!

But Kris, pseudoscience is real science that you older guys just dont understand dont you know, using the parts that you guys have been using for years in slightly different ways leads to impossible physics breaking things that ALWAYS work despite everyone saying no and only seeing actual results in 1 out of the 150 sites visited.

Either way, this is a great site, I do love it so, keep up the good work mods and Ian

mrmodify

Feb 13, 2010
All I can say is thanks guys, This forum is great! I wish I was more electronic savvy to participate more but that does not stop me from surfing the forum, which I enjoy and hopefully be able to help someone out like the help I received.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I wish I was more electronic savvy to participate.

Don't let that stop you :)
I have been doing electronics for some 45 yrs. I'm mainly a practical person ... give me the parts and circuit and I will build you almost anything
But ask me how it works -- indepth -- and I wont be able to, I could only give you a basic overview

Steve, Kris and a couple of others are the theory guru's and I leave the hard questions to them :)

cheers
Dave