Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Getting 12v to run 50ft distance

Tobias101

Jan 12, 2017
Hi guys, I've got some LED strip lights that I'm lighting, but I need to run 12 volts 50ft to do so. At the moment I can do it with speaker cable but the transformer is getting a little warm.

Can anyone recommend what I can do here, either in regards to changing the transformer or any other theories about the way I can get 12v 50ft without comprimising the voltage by the time it gets to the lighting.

Thanks in advance.

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
Ohm's law needs the expected current by the LEDs to answer.

OBW0549

Jul 5, 2016
Hi guys, I've got some LED strip lights that I'm lighting, but I need to run 12 volts 50ft to do so. At the moment I can do it with speaker cable but the transformer is getting a little warm.
Having a 50 ft run to your LEDs has nothing to do with the transformer getting warm.

Is the transformer actually "a little warm", or is it "darned hot"? I'd say if you can stand to hold your hand on it for 10 seconds, it's probably not too hot. Getting "a little warm" is perfectly normal.

Can anyone recommend what I can do here, either in regards to changing the transformer or any other theories about the way I can get 12v 50ft without comprimising the voltage by the time it gets to the lighting.
To prevent the transformer from getting warm, pick a transformer with a higher current rating.

To prevent dropping too much voltage in your LED wiring, use a heavier gauge of wire.

Tobias101

Jan 12, 2017
Having a 50 ft run to your LEDs has nothing to do with the transformer getting warm.

Is the transformer actually "a little warm", or is it "darned hot"? I'd say if you can stand to hold your hand on it for 10 seconds, it's probably not too hot. Getting "a little warm" is perfectly normal.

To prevent the transformer from getting warm, pick a transformer with a higher current rating.

To prevent dropping too much voltage in your LED wiring, use a heavier gauge of wire.

That's great, thankyou very much!