Maker Pro
Maker Pro

German translation

pete g

Sep 14, 2010
hi, just finished making the german designed Sprut esr meter. the words I need translated are: messe, lade, entlad. can anyone help?

pete g

Sep 14, 2010
±thanks guys for responding and for the translation. but i'am still confused as how that relates to the esr meter?

LvW

Apr 12, 2014
"messen" means "to measure" and "messe" is the corrsponding imperative ("you should measure")
"laden" means "to charge" and "lade" is the imperative .
"entladen" means "to discharge" and "entlade" is the imperative!

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
What LvW said.

Plus, for future reference, Pete: It's rare that you can get a meaningful translation for just one word. Sometimes you can, but more often one word taken out of its context (the sentence in which it is used) is ambiguous at best. As Alec-t illustrated so well for us.

The best example I know is the word "get." Look it up in a good dictionary and you may find it fills half the page with its different meanings and senses. E.g., "get" has completely different meanings in "I got tired after an hour", "I got the highest score," "He got tried for treason," "I got down on the dance floor," and "I've got to go now." To translate those sentences into German (or Spanish, or Welsh, or Korean), you would not only have to restructure how you said them, you would need to find completely different, unrelated, words for each sentence. Just as you would if you said them in English in a different way so you don't use the word "get."
Get it now?

I am frankly amazed that any non-anglophone can learn how to use "get" in English as a 2nd language. But the point of this extreme example is that it's always iffy to try to translate single words out of context.

You would do better in the future to include the entire sentence in which an unknown word occurs. If it's a short sentence, you might sometimes have to include the sentences before and/or after it to establish its context.

pete g

Sep 14, 2010
thanks so much for your responses. I only gave the 3 single words because those 3 words flash on/off the whole time the meter is on. thsnks, again. pg

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
What LvW said.

It's rare that you can get a meaningful translation for just one word............
.....You would do better in the future to include the entire sentence in which an unknown word occurs. If it's a short sentence, you might sometimes have to include the sentences before and/or after it to establish its context.

Very true.
As a user of the German-made "Profilab Expert" digital simulator, I occasionally get an error message (in German).
I found that using a German-English dictionary sort-of helps, but as you said, the final word-for-word translation can sound like gibberish.
I now use the full phrase in Google Translate if I cant figure out a phrase.

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
I find that Google Translate helps if you already know the language but are rusty and can't remember words you used to know. I used to be fluent in Spanish and "conversant" in German, but not using either for decades took its toll of attrition from what used to be my vocabulary in each. I use Google Translate, but sometimes have to correct the translation it gives me.
Living in the D.C. Metro area, I do get occasions to practice my Spanish in fast-food outlets, which employ a lot of Hispanic workers, but the range of vocabulary is extremely limited.
And of course, in any specialized field, like electronics, there is always a jargon that is different from normal "street" uses of words & phrases.