Frankenstein's Components.

Discussion in 'Electronic Projects' started by (*steve*), Nov 27, 2012.

1. (*steve*)

bigone5500

Stupid spammers.....

bigone5500, Jan 10, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. (*steve*)

Johan_Ha

Our school has moved from an old building and the building is about to be closed and demolished. A lot of old electronics was left there, stuff we didn't use anymore.
    From two wire telephones I picked the piezo mics and speakers. From one matrix printer I picked two stepper motors and a dented belt with its dented wheels. I also have two identical laser printers with worn out drums. They probably contain one stepper motor each. And a lot of components, together more worth than the 25 € a working printer of same model is worth on the 2nd hand market.

The step motors might turn into robot arms powered by two car accumulators and controlled by Microbits.

Johan_Ha, May 6, 2017
    hevans1944 and davenn like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. (*steve*)

Tha fios agaibh

My youngest was complaining that his Power wheels battery operated car wasn't fast enough for him.

I added a second 12v battery in its storage compartment and wired in a relay that switches it from 12v to 24v when a button is pushed. I didn't want it full 24v starting out for fear the excessive torque would strip the gears. The way it's wired now; he has to first hold down the accelerater pedal and once the car is moving he can push his "turbo" button and the car speeds up dramatically.

The car is twice as fast and my boy is thrilled.

Tha fios agaibh, Aug 29, 2017
    bushtech likes this.
  4. (*steve*)

Braeden Hamson

You can get lithium cells out of laptop batteries (no surprize) if you go to Goodwill they sometimes have stacks of them.

Braeden Hamson, Aug 30, 2017
  5. (*steve*)

mr fixit

Back in the 70's and 80's I was a mainframe Engineer. One of the benefits of that is the knowledge that back in those days, mainframes were expensive, so manufacturers could use high precision, expensive fittings, castings and hardware. I used to frequent sales and auctions, knowing what hardware was in what pieces of kit.
    Mag tape drives (reel to reel) and the old "washing machine" sized disc drives had to be precision built because the electronics used in them was so crude.
    Huge chunks of aluminium for the base, heaps of high-tensile big Allen bolts, Smaller phillips screws with integrated washers, domed nuts (brass), all chrome plated of course. Look great on modern kit front panels or under the hood of your car.
    Many very handy brackets and cases, panels (usually aluminium but sometime stainless steel.
    Lord alone knows how much this stuff would cost to make today!
    I remember one power supply in particular that supplied the -5 volts for the core memory in a mainframe.
    The memory was 65K per plane - 1 megabyte in total (cost was $1 per byte, by the way. Do the maths).
    But the PSU was capable of supplying -5 volts at 1200 Amps. The output stage was 600 2N3055's in parallel.
    Each had a .1 Ohm emitter resister. Each was handling 2 Amps. Very relaxed running for a 2N3055.
    One of my maintenance tasks was to check for dud 2N3055's. Check the emitter resister voltage on EACH transistor (600 of them..). Any that didn't show a voltage meant that transistor was open circuit. None ever showed up a short circuited. Have a guess why...
    Get one of those PSU's and you would have a lifetime supply of 2N3055's!
    Even the humble latches and hinges. Not the cad plated steel mounted with rivets or maybe self tapers.
    These used chrome plated piano hinges, secured with dozens of chrome plated brass countersunk bolts and nuts.
    Each had a specified torque setting, and was to be secured with a dab of locktite!

mr fixit, Dec 3, 2017
  6. (*steve*)

kellys_eye

As much as I've been trying to, finding old equipment for re-purposing has been a sort of hobby of mine for years. In the current economic climate it's been difficult to get stuff as anyone/everyone now recognises the inherent value of such stuff, even if they themselves can't find an outlet for it.

Doesn't stop me trying though! Older relatives and friends often come up trumps with antique stuff but more often than not that turns out to be ripe for restoration rather than re-purposing (nothing wrong in that, some stuff is great after being fixed up and there's a busy hobby/market in that anyway).

But, now that I've relocated to the sticks I have no opportunity to dumpster-dive or scrounge stuff but I still get people locally dropping off old stuff now that they know I'm geekish that way!

kellys_eye, Dec 3, 2017
  7. (*steve*)

FuZZ1L0G1C

Over past decades, have stripped down old dot-matrix printers for gearing and stepper-motors, CD / DVD players, Rare-earth magnets!! :)) from a microwave oven, (discharged HV cap using HT gloves & damp salt-soaked sponge).
    Dozens of 6VDC relay boards from factory sale, two huge caps rated 400WVDC 6H8 (bargain bin at electronics component store), nixie tubes, several old 350W>400W desktop PSU's....
    At least two 100L plastic storage bins full of stuff.
    Recently bought a heap of IC's, resistor packs and 3.9v zeners from a self-employed engineer/tech who emigrated to UK, so sold off all stock. Also sold me 2 CRO scopes, one which works great, other I still need to fault-find / repair.

FuZZ1L0G1C, Dec 3, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question