Maker Pro
Maker Pro

FPGA Shield for Arduino Leonardo or Uno - Part 1

Ewan Lister

Apr 28, 2015
Hi,

As I previously mentioned I have started the design of the FPGA shield for the Arduino Uno or Leonardo boards. You can read the first part of the design at http://www.design-foundry.net/. I would appreciate your feedback so I can change the design if necessary. I will be making the who project open source and providing the design files as I go along so I hope you enjoy it.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Nice project, I'm waiting to see more.

How are you going to integrate the FPGA development into the arduino environment? Will be part of teh arduino IDE or will it stay a separate entity? How do you envision transfer of the FPGA programming data from the arduino to the FPGA (from a programmer's point of view, not the hardwrae issues that you discuss in your blog)?

Ewan Lister

Apr 28, 2015
Nice project, I'm waiting to see more.

How are you going to integrate the FPGA development into the arduino environment? Will be part of teh arduino IDE or will it stay a separate entity? How do you envision transfer of the FPGA programming data from the arduino to the FPGA (from a programmer's point of view, not the hardwrae issues that you discuss in your blog)?

Hi Harald,

I have previously done this by using Processing to create a sketch that will transfer the data and then have an Arduino sketch that processes the bit stream and transfers the data to the Flash. This is a bit cumbersome but it uses the standard Arduino/Processing IDEs which most people are familiar with. The main VHDL development will be done in the Lattice Semiconductor iceCube2 development IDE. I'm going to do a detailed blog post on all of this process but I hope this gives you an idea of how I think it will all hang together. (At least at this early stage anyway!).