Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Floor mounted car dimmer switch for high beam to low beam

studentuser66

May 13, 2013
i was thinking about retro fitting floor mounted dimmer switch to fit in my commodore now with the blinker stalk still being operational. if the blinker stalk was still on high beam and i was to use the dimmer switch on the floor would there be a problem with that or would one still cancel out the other? or is there a way to work around the problem if there is a problem with it. the dimmer switches were fitted on some cars from 1930's till 1997 but they didn't have a blinker stalk fitted as well it seemed it was one or the other.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You would have to figure out how it works. I don't really know, but I suggest that it's likely the switch operates a relay that does the switching.

A second switch would probably be most easily wired to reverse the action of the first relay (again, depends how it is wired).

If done this way, actuating either the stalk switch or the foot swich would toggle the current state.

HOWEVER the type of stalk switch for this that I al familiar with has a momentary "pull" option and a latching "push" action. Whilst this doesn't mean you can't wire it this way, it would be unusual to able able to push the stalk lever to turn the high beam off.

Another consideration is that it may make the vehicle technically un-roadworthy. (If you think that's a joke, replacing incandescent bulbs in the taillight of a car with LED bulbs can have the same effect because they are not within the original specification for these bulbs)