Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Fix Chip on Motherboard

jonyboy

Sep 18, 2013
a friend of mi give me a motherboard because its not working, an i discover that there is a chip burn, i dont know a lot about electronics just the essential and i would like to try to buy the chip and replacement but i dont know the name of it, and when i go to google and write the code on the chip nothing appear, the code of the chip is C96KH.

IMG_20130918_130240_zpsc1bc177e.jpg

sorry for my bad englis and hope to find the help im looking for.

regars

Landon

Sep 18, 2013
a friend of mi give me a motherboard because its not working, an i discover that there is a chip burn, i dont know a lot about electronics just the essential and i would like to try to buy the chip and replacement but i dont know the name of it, and when i go to google and write the code on the chip nothing appear, the code of the chip is C96KH.

IMG_20130918_130240_zpsc1bc177e.jpg

sorry for my bad englis and hope to find the help im looking for.

regars

It is probably a proprietary chip made by the motherboard mfg., if its burt/fried something else on the motherboard is probably shorted out also and took out that chip with it, I wouldn't spend too much time on this and just find another motherboard on eBay.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Are those other similar looking chips also marked as C96KH?

I can't find any reference to that in my datasheets, but you may be able to determine what the device is from looking at the other similar parts and how they're wired (although it's not going to be simple)

My guess is that these will be something like a mosfet or a pair of mosfets doing power switching, perhaps for nearby ESATA ports?

One option is to remove the part (it may have failed short circuit) and see if the motherboard works (or works better). You may then be able to determine what isn't working and decide if you can live without that.

It is also possible (indeed probable) that this component was not the original fault. The original fault may have been some external device, or it may be another failure you can't yet see on the motherboard. What this means is that removing (or even replacing) this component may do nothing because it may not be the real fault, or the final consequential failure that killed the motherboard.

An example is that this component may have been damaged by a reverse voltage from some external device. This lead to it shorting and getting hot (there is evidence it got hot). The additional current may have burnt out a trace in one of the inner layers of the board which perhaps supplies an essential signal to another chip, without which the board will not work.