Maker Pro
Maker Pro

ffc (CX4) cable repair for Denon AVR-1912 E2/EA

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
When conductors in a ribbon cable break and the ribbon needs replacing - but there's no source for the particular cable - in this case the CX4 40-way long ribbon between the HDMI_B'D and the Front_B'D - does anyone have a known method of repair? I have tried (not quite successfully), to chop off the end and skim the plastic coating off one end - however the break was further along the ribbon in one or two cases. So, if managing to acquire/purchase a length of 40-way 1mm.pitch 40mm. wide ribbon cable, is there a known way of removing the plastic coating without removing the nickel plating to from the conductors? How do they do it?? Heat has been suggested and I am yet to try this. I will use my 858D hot-air soldering gun at a low temp. until it works without distorting the backing while scraping away that coating with a sharpish wooden spatula . . . good idea? If it works I will tell you. .
Michael Studio1

Last edited:

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
Unfortunately don't know, but holding thumbs for you
Thanks "bushtech".
To someone out there, baring the ends of ribbon cables is an every-day occurence. I'm away from my Lab at this time - on holiday with nothing, literally nothing, between me and the North Pole. When I get back to the Lab, believe me, I'm going to experiment . . . unless that person,(or persons) to whom this job is an every day work-thing says something to describe their 'methodology' (As I see it the backing must be kept cool so as not to distort , , , , etc) but for a tad of luck this technique will remain a mystery. Michael-on hols from Studio1 - but can't keep his mind off this gnotty problem . . .

bushtech

Sep 13, 2016
I have never tried to make up a ribbon cable but I see you can buy 40 way ribbon and connectors. If you cant find the correct pitch making a breakout patch could be a labour intensive option

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
I have never tried to make up a ribbon cable but I see you can buy 40 way ribbon and connectors. If you cant find the correct pitch making a breakout patch could be a labour intensive option
Thanks, Bushtech - I've looked at the ribbon there but, as you say, making a break-out cable would be an intensive option. I need to find a source of 40-way ffc ribbon - for that is what the original is - according to Denon. so. . . here we go (via the North Pole)

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
Yep, but that's a 30m roll:eek:!

Somehow you must be able to find a smaller length
The replacement FFC (CX4) has arrived, been tested, found OK, installed in the Denon AVR-1912 E2/EA and we're now back to only Right Channel Signal Tone (700Hz.) getting through from AUXR to Front R SPKR terminals. The Left Channel Signal Tone (500Hz.) is getting as far as IC30 on the HDMI_B'D. I do not know (but suspect) that IC30 is the AD converter. Can anyone offer advice on tracing the Left and Right signal tones from IC30 onwards? Progress is being made in the UK!
Michael Studio1 UK

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
New progress on the Denon AVR-1912 E2/EA. The replacement CX4 ffc has arrived, been tested OK and installed, tested again for continuity between ffc connectors of Front B'D and HDMI_B'D. Signal tones of 700Hz. (R) and 500Hz. (L) have now been injected into AUXR and AUXL but only the Right Channel tone is getting through to the Front SPKR terminal. I can only trace Audio (I think) so when the tones get to IC30 (a 16pin) on the HDMI_B'D at pin 1 (AINR) and pin 2 (AINL) I do not know what I should now be looking for. If IC30 is the AD converter where does IC801 (page 114, Service Manual) fit in the scheme of things? The signal tones get to IC801 at pin 83 (VAUX_R) and pin 84 (VAUX_L) and emerge from IC801 at pin 54 (A/D_L) and pin 55 (A/D_R). I seek advice now on how to progress! MIchael Studio1 UK

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
In the end I found a 12" prepared CX4 clone from China. Much cheaper than the one removed from a ditched AVR. But that works, so now I have a Chinese 'spare'. Michael Studio1 UK 08:59GMT

Summix

Nov 3, 2019
Hi. Doo you have that spare cx4 ffc cable. Also desperately looking for one. Tnx.

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
Hi. Doo you have that spare cx4 ffc cable. Also desperately looking for one. Tnx.
Hello Summix - all that was back in July 2018. My Workshop is all 'ahoo' with the return of my son from University with his BAHons in Theatre Technology, and the amount of 'stuff' he acquired during those years having 'to go somewhere' - mostly ended up in the Workshop. I don't remember what happened to that spare Chinese 40 x way ribbon FFC, but I got the replacement from: AVSystemParts where I had to create an Account &c. Look them up on Google and see what you find. Good Luck! Michael@Studio1.

Summix

Nov 3, 2019
Hello Summix - all that was back in July 2018. My Workshop is all 'ahoo' with the return of my son from University with his BAHons in Theatre Technology, and the amount of 'stuff' he acquired during those years having 'to go somewhere' - mostly ended up in the Workshop. I don't remember what happened to that spare Chinese 40 x way ribbon FFC, but I got the replacement from: AVSystemParts where I had to create an Account &c. Look them up on Google and see what you find. Good Luck! Michael@Studio1.
Ok. Thanks. Would it be possible to provide me with a link or part number. I can't find it on their site..I did check. Tnx.