Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Faulty usb-port

Erlend

Jul 20, 2018
hello everyone, the usb port of my onyx boox m96 ereader stopped functioning, so i opened the back of the ereader to look at the circuitboard. The usb-port simply fell off, this is how the pins look:

E970D646-061B-420E-8E21-4B0DFA97E9A5.jpeg

Is it possible with a repair? I hope so....

-Thank you for your replying, its greatly appreciated!

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
The USB port can be soldered back if it is not damaged or broken any pins. But you will need a steady hand and a soldering iron with a right size tip.

Erlend

Jul 20, 2018
The USB port can be soldered back if it is not damaged or broken any pins. But you will need a steady hand and a soldering iron with a right size tip.
Does that mean that the pins on the circuit board are ok, although not of full length?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Difficult to tell from the photo but if my eyes aren't being deceived there are some tracks that have been pulled off with the original USB socket. This isn't insurmountable as you can extend the missing parts using lengths of wire but you're looking at some fairly 'responsible' soldering using fairly decent quality tools - and unless you have the requisite skills you're likely to do more damage than good.

Erlend

Jul 20, 2018
Yes, that’s what i suspected.

The threads are unfortunately tiny. So provided i have the necessary skills ( which i don’t have )

- i use soldering wire to lengthen the threads?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
First thing to do would be to refit the USB socket o it can't come loose again - epoxy resin would be a good glue to use (don't get any on or in the socket itself, nor the pins at the back.

With the socket secured you can then use solder AND thin wire to solder from each pin to the pcb tracks where there is any 'gap' between the two. You might be able to bridge small gaps with solder alone but this could be a hit and miss method. Either way you'll need a really good soldering iron with a fine tip and some thin flux-cored solder.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Looks like the 4 larger pads might be the anchoring solder points for the usb socket outer frame.

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
The 4 square pads are for the metal frame tabs.
Solder-pad pins 2, 3, 5, and 7 look ripped in photo, but that could just be solder not reflecting light.
Maybe you could try this:
Line up USB socket until all 10 pins align perfectly.
2 wooden clothes pegs or similar could temporarily clamp the socket to PCB.
Solder the outer pads to secure the socket in place.
Solder all ten pins where possible.
Where (if) pin-pads are broken, use single strand of clean copper wire to bridge, then nip stray ends after repair.
If you don't have flat-profile cutters (one side flat), a sturdy nail-clipper can trim loose ends of wires.