Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Faulty massage chair, virtually brand new ,advice please?

Tess

Sep 26, 2017
I have a high back, recliner, office chair with 6 point massage function. Only used half a dozen times then stood for about 6 months. When I have tried to use it recently it will not recline when button is pressed and when remote switched on the lights for all the different settings come on appropriately and the chair is making faint whirring noises but none of the massage points are activating...I know absolutely nothing about electronics I'm afraid but wondered if anyone might recognise what the problem may be from my description and give me some advice as to where I might be able to get it fixed?

Many Thanks

Tess

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Do you have a warranty on the chair that is still in force?
That would be the first thing to check.

Tess

Sep 26, 2017
Do you have a warranty on the chair that is still in force?
That would be the first thing to check.

Hi There,
Thanks for responding. I bought the chair via Groupon via one of their import companys called Buyerempire, so expected they would honour a warranty but they've been totally unhelpful. They state I would have to contact the manufacturer but refuse to give me any contact details to do so. Ive looked up online and it looks like the chair is discontinued and the company is no longer trading. I'm reluctant to just get rid of the chair as I say, it is barely used. and was almost £100 so I'd like to try and get it fixed if possible.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Our quandary in trying to help you with this is that you have no troubleshooting experience with electronic circuits and we'd be asking you to take voltage measurements at different points to try to determine the problem.
It may not work here, but my next suggestion would be to Google the make and model number of your recliner in an attempt to find someone in your area who might service your model. A long-shot I guess, but that's the first thing I would try. If you can't find someone who services your recliner near you, your Google search might turn-up a drawing (called a 'schematic') for the circuitry in your recliner, which would go a long way in helping anybody else near you who knows about electronic troubleshooting, to have a 'road-map' of the electronic circuitry in your recliner, and maybe get them enough information to troubleshoot your problem.
If none of the above sounds very helpful, do you know of anybody personally with handy-man type experience on electrical items, that might be able to take a look at it and see what he thinks?
You might have some pinched wires if the chair was moved around while not in use for those six months. I'd look to see if you see any obvious damage to the wiring, or the wiring connectors.
In it's present unknown condition, I caution you to leave the electronics unplugged from power when not in use, until somebody can check into the problem.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
expected they would honour a warranty but they've been totally unhelpful. They state I would have to contact the manufacturer but refuse to give me any contact details to do so
They are acting illegally - and they know it.

Responsibility lies with the RETAILER, not the manufacturer and they have a legal obligation under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 (UK) to either repair or replace the defective item.

The 'warranty' will be for a minimum period however LEGALLY you have recourse to redress if the item is not of sufficient quality to give useful service for a reasonable length of time - the definition of 'reasonable' can be argued but is clarified by the Courts if you have to go that route. This can be as long as 5 years or more regardless of what may be stated in the paperwork.

Stand your ground - get back to the RETAILER (seller) and state clearly that you wish to exercise your rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 (UK) and demand that they fix, replace or refund the article or you will (a) contact Citizens Advice or (b) take them to the Small Claims Court.

They don't have a leg to stand on and they know it. They are relying on 'consumer ignorance' to deflect their responsibilities. This is quite common and actually NEEDS people like you to push for your statutory rights under law to change attitudes.

Go for it.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/contents/enacted

<edit> Write to them and send it Recorded Delivery if they fail to respond to any email or phone contact. Written evidence (and copies of any correspondence and records of phone calls) will give you 100% chance of success if you HAVE to sue them - which is a rare event but is actually easier than you think!

Tess

Sep 26, 2017
Wow......thanks so much much for this reply and the link....I will get on to them tomorrow with a strong e-mail/letter.....I've been looking on line at money saving expert forums and it seems there's loads of similar complaints about groupon so again thank you for taking time, advice and link

Tess

Tess

Sep 26, 2017
Our quandary in trying to help you with this is that you have no troubleshooting experience with electronic circuits and we'd be asking you to take voltage measurements at different points to try to determine the problem.
It may not work here, but my next suggestion would be to Google the make and model number of your recliner in an attempt to find someone in your area who might service your model. A long-shot I guess, but that's the first thing I would try. If you can't find someone who services your recliner near you, your Google search might turn-up a drawing (called a 'schematic') for the circuitry in your recliner, which would go a long way in helping anybody else near you who knows about electronic troubleshooting, to have a 'road-map' of the electronic circuitry in your recliner, and maybe get them enough information to troubleshoot your problem.
If none of the above sounds very helpful, do you know of anybody personally with handy-man type experience on electrical items, that might be able to take a look at it and see what he thinks?
You might have some pinched wires if the chair was moved around while not in use for those six months. I'd look to see if you see any obvious damage to the wiring, or the wiring connectors.
In it's present unknown condition, I caution you to leave the electronics unplugged from power when not in use, until somebody can check into the problem.
Hi there,
Thanks again for taking time to respond...I have tried to find online manual but every time I put information from label it just keeps directing me back to groupon....I have a friend who is an electrician but he asked for a manual too.....I think I will just have to leave it for now and take advice given below to stand my ground and consumer rights with groupon...
Thanks you again for your advice

Tess

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
By all means, do what you can to obtain a warranty repair for your recliner.
We wish you the best of luck with your consumer rights.