Maker Pro
Maker Pro

electronic noise reduction options

wopachop

Jul 22, 2012
Hello everyone i have a voltage converter that is buzzing when used with a PWM dimmer. Im coming up short on trying to reduce the buzz. What about letting the sucker buzz away but instead just mask the sound?

Does a type of spray foam designed for this purpose exist? Something that would stop sound waves but not trap too much heat?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Did you try what I suggested in your other thread?

Bob

wopachop

Jul 22, 2012
I did a test with hot glue. Adding to different spots and finally had it completely covered over. It didnt help. I can change the sound by touching down on components.

I did not try adding a small load like you said Bob. Will try that tonight for a test. What i dont like about that solution is it will slowly drain the battery power if a person was to leave their main switch on for a day or two.

Was getting help from an engineer at Linear. He said i need to "use caps other than ceramic, such as aluminum electrolytic which are a bit bigger, but not piezoelectric in nature."

Im still not sure if Ferrite rings are a good option. Tried to change the title in the other thread. Please feel free to combine them if you like. I had an idea of maybe putting the voltage regulator on a small heat sink, then completely cover it with a type of sound reducing foam. Either from a bottle or buy a sheet and wrap it around the regulator and tape it together.