Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electrical/Electronic Question

RailRoadX

Aug 12, 2017
Have a possibly simple E/E question.

Own an elliptical machine that contains a small brushless 12v DC three-speed cooling fan.

Problem: Original cooling fan would crank in all three speed settings but not run. Purchased a new fan and the same situation has occurred. The new fan will crank in all three-speeds and stop but will not run.

Question: Is the problem the fan? Or, is the problem the board, a possible diode/capacitor type problem on the circuit board?

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
RRX

RailRoadX

Aug 12, 2017
The elliptical is a Livestrong manufacture licensed to China by Johnson Fitness in the United States out of Wisconsin.
The fan is a Three-Speed DC Brushless model: HDS-7530H 12v DC 0.31A
Shenzhen Coolrui Electronics Co, Ltd.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
The fact you replaced the fan and still the same condition occurred would seem to eliminate the fan as the problem!
Which logically points to the controller.?
M.

SparkyVT

Aug 9, 2017
Going to ask a few questions along the lines that I have to while trouble shooting at work.

Did the original fan ever work? Polarity could be the issue if it hasn't you could try reversing the wires to see if that resolves the issue. Some DC fan motors have protection built into them.
You say that it cranks but doesn't spin, have you tried to spin the fan? Both with and with out power applied, to see if it is catching physically on something or it may help show that one of the fields isn't powering up.
How many wires is the motor? Did it come with a plug? I tried searching it but couldn't find anything on it.

RailRoadX

Aug 12, 2017
Hello Sparky VT:

Did the original fan ever work?
Yes. It started the intermittent crank and stop about 2-3 weeks ago and had worked for over 5 years.

You say that it cranks but doesn't spin, have you tried to spin the fan?
Yes, the fan spins freely. I have the original apart and it and the new fan both spin freely (with and without power) so I would assume that that would eliminate a mechanical malfunction i.e. bearing bind etc.

How many wires is the motor?
2, (red and black).

Did it come with a plug?
Yes.

The fan is a Three-Speed DC Brushless model: HDS-7530H 12v DC 0.31A
Shenzhen Coolrui Electronics Co, Ltd.

Elliptical Model: Livestrong LS8.0E

Thank you.
RRX

P.S. If you are from Vermont, you just may recognize the locality in my avatar.

Last edited by a moderator:

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
There are many 12v BLDC fans out there, ebay etc, you may not have 3 sp control, unless this is important.
If only two wires then the BLDC conversion is internal, I assume they may just change the voltage for the slower operation.
But if a new fan did not cut it then you need to check the voltage out.
M.

SparkyVT

Aug 9, 2017
I am from Vermont originally, though my youth was spent as an army brat. My guess would be that is the restored Burlington to Vergennes line. My guess is over the otter creek, but I don't remember if the line goes down that far.

At this point I agree with Minder, going to have to check what you are getting as far as an output voltage.