Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electric throttle

spoons

Nov 8, 2010
Hello there..

I would like to modify my ultra light engine by replacing the throttle cable with a servo - stepper motor and a potentiometer in the cockpit to control the throttle.

I'm not sure if something like this already exists but i have yet to find anything.

is there a way to program redundancy to an Arduino, I mean a way to double program or have two boards working together? Or perhaps a better method of achieving this.

Thanks.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Initially, that might be a no-no.
Also if you read up on the Arduino, I think you will find they are not for auto (or the like ) use.

spoons

Nov 8, 2010
Hmm.. don't remember ever seeing anything but Ill take your word for it.
What would you say to modifying an existing automotive electric throttle, or perhaps apply that principle towards something more suited to my needs.

Thanks.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
What's the worst possible thing that could happen if the throttle misbehaved?

What's the upside of making this change?

spoons

Nov 8, 2010
Lol...your concerns are dually noted. they've been installing electric throttles in production vehicles for the past ten years without incident.
Most large scale boats also have this type of system.

I realize the down fall of a system failure which is why it would have to be a duel system with two servos ( main and backup ) and two independent programming devices, or one module which has this redundancy pre programmed.

Hopup

Jul 5, 2015
In aviation the components used in the circuit boards are higher quality than what you would find in the arduino boards generally (cheapest possible stuff). Also the power supplies have to be redundant and the code would have to be extremely reliable so I wouldn't necessarily recommend doing it DIY.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
If you have dual systems and their outputs differ, how will you know which one is right and which one is lying?
It's my understanding that commercial airliners have triple-redundant systems and a majority-voting arrangement to resolve any discrepancies.
Bearing in mind the number of components involved, I would have thought the probability of failure of an electronic system would be far greater than for a simple throttle cable.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I remembered seeing the "limitations" previously and couldn't remember where so I asked at Arduino and this is the reply.

It's standard "boilerplate" that you can usually find at the bottom of the datasheet of the chips involved:

Unless specifically provided otherwise, Atmel products are not suitable for, and shall not be used in, automotive applications. Atmel's products are not intended, authorized, or warranted for use as components in applications intended to support or sustain life.

There's probably a similar disclaimer for the voltage regulator, the op-amp in the power-switching circuit, and maybe even in all the "little" components like the connectors.

Apart from that, anyone remotely involved in aviation should be well aware of the requirements of certification for any changes made to the original structure of the aircraft.
The level of certification being relative to the country, aiframe type and use and the changes made.
As such, the cost may be minimal or rather hefty.

spoons

Nov 8, 2010
You make a good point about certification, actually its a BMW four stroke engine I'm installing in a Challenger Ultra Light which should give me just about enough headaches regarding certification.

I definitely have to find something which already exists in the aircraft industry should I decide to go that route, but looking more like cable and leaver :(