Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electric Motor high pitch sound

bline22

Nov 11, 2016
Hello,

I received some great help on this forum on a different issue and now facing another motor problem.

I took some video here:

This is for an air exchanger and the issue is that the motor prior to me pulling the cap off, would not function at all. The intent of the motor is to open a flap to allow outside air in or not.

Once i pulled the cover off the motor, tried manually moving it with my fingers, plugged it back in it began working again. not sure if something dislodged or what.

The high pitched sound however, does not sound good. Anyone have any comment on if the motor is on its last leg or if i can tune it up easily to give it a good life again? Also, i have not connected all the stuff again to see if the motor even has the power to move the flap but i am assuming it does. I do vaguely remember last winter going down there and hearing the machine fire to hear this high pitch sound and it all seemed to work then.

Thanks.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
+1 on bearings, usually sintered (porous) bronze, you may be lucky lube'ing them, if the motor does not come apart easily, dip the whole motor in light oil for an hour and then let it drain for another hour.
M.

bline22

Nov 11, 2016
Thanks for the replies.

For lubing them if i can, can i use the white lithium grease or i simply have some sae 20 oil i could attempt to drop as best i can along the shaft? Other things i have around here are wd40, misc lubricants if those would be better?

@Minder, when you say dip it in oil if the above doesn't work. Do you mean to fill a small container of some sort of oil and submerse it in that?

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
If they ARE bronze, not lithium grease.
WD-40 is OK for washing out residue but allow to evaporate and then no heavier than SAE 5 or 10 is best.

Yes, submerse it if necessary. One reason you need thin oil, beware when starting it will fling some off so initially cover it.
M.

bline22

Nov 11, 2016
Awesome. I oiled it up good and the noise went away so seems like it is working without issue. Now to get it back together. Thanks for the help everyone!