Maker Pro
Maker Pro

DIN type connector issue

Patrick Andrae

Feb 22, 2017
I have an old video camera. When you use it as a playback device, a remote control is connected to the camera with a cord that looks as though it is a 5-prong DIN connector. Well one of the prongs broke off in one of the holes and it doesn't get power. Silly me, I thought I would cut the cord, open the camera and hardwire the remote to the camera (I only need the camera to play back some old tapes). To my surprise, when I stripped the cord, there were only four wires! Also, when I looked in the camera, there seemed to be only four wires leading from the female port. I hooked up the wires in all 24 possible combinations and none succeeded in powering up the remote. A closer look at the female port revealed that the fifth wire led to something else on the PCB. I can't figure out what the fifth wire is for if only four wires led from the remote. Any ideas on how these connectors work?

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Posting a few pictures would be a big help here.
If only 4 wires are used in the cable, the 5th connection in the camera shouldn't matter.
(It may be a shield or wire that doesn't perform a specific remote function).

The problem with guessing where the wiring goes is that one of the combinations you tried may have caused irreparable damage.
Next time try to trace continuity of the wiring connections before guessing.

Patrick Andrae

Feb 22, 2017
Oh dear. Gee, I should have thought of that. I tried tracing the wires in the cable to the pins but it was extremely difficult. I tried to cut away the hard plastic to reveal the junctions. Too difficult. Well I'll get some picts tomorrow and I guess I'll plan on getting a replacement camera to view these tapes. They should be cheap. Thanks for your immediate help.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
IMPERATIVE . . .that you should have posted the Brand and model number.
Maybe only 2 of those wires are active while 3 are used in selecting points of a weighted resistive ladder.
That was done on those old wired remotes long before digital sophistication and multiplexing came on the scene.

Here is an example of all of the 11 or so functions that can be done with just 2 of those wires.
Back at the main unit, comparators sample the different voltages produced by the resistor combinations and interpret the machine function to be enabled. . . . . now you know . . . . .the rest of the story . . . .

Wired Remotes resistor multiplexer circuit.png

73s de Edd

Patrick Andrae

Feb 22, 2017
Hello!
Okaay. The brand is Sony Handycam. Model CCD-V1, from ca. 1986. I've posted photos. One shows the 5-pin jack, with numbers around it. Yes, I practically destroyed it, trying to get at the buried pin. Another photo shows the reverse side of the PCB with soldering points indicated (1-5) and the pathways they make down to the yellow wiring harness (don't have the electronics vocabulary). I snipped these wires - three grey and one red. I connected them to the remote control wires (red, white, blue, and black). Don't laugh but I soldered the wires to paper clips which I hooked together. I did this because of the many combinations I wanted to try. I did my best to make sure there was contact between all wires before pressing power on the remote. jack.jpg wireharness.jpg Wires.jpg remote.jpg The wires were of very fine gauge. Final picture is of the remote. So, any final thoughts would be quite welcome.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Patrick Andrae . . . . .

I find no FOR-FREE schematics or service manual for that old of a unit.

Any chance that the mating plugs and jacks of the remote are being the generation one . . . old DIN 5 connectors, as are being shown on my supplement at the far right .
OR for a workaround repair that is what you might change to in a repair, or even a set of the smaller PS-2 connectors with one unused extra wire / connection.
Confirm that a female connection is at the camera proper.
A compact female connector . . . used for computers PCB mounts . . . . might be able to be used and a slight bumpout made with moldable 2 part epoxy.

pcb-mount-ps-2-connector-socket-6-pin-female-for-keyboard-mouse.jpg

As my markup shows, the remotes interconnecting line has to feed 4 ( YELLOW SQUARE) LEDs and that leaves my mentioned resistor ladder technique to create all of the remotes pushbutton functions shown.

AT LEAST these wires are small gauge and could be stagger spliced on a repair , , , , , , had they been ULTRAFLEXIBLE coiled copper foil wires . . . . around a polyester cord . . .not so achievable

On your " paperclip city" lashup, am I only seeing 4 wires ? . . . . .of 5 . . . . BLUE*WHITE*BLACK*RED

INFO SUPPLEMENT :

g2vljHx.jpg

73s de Edd

Last edited:

Patrick Andrae

Feb 22, 2017
Yeah, no schematics. The connector you have shown is not the one. The pins are sort of asymetrical. They look like a face (see crudely drawn image attached)5pin.jpg . You can see the soldering pattern on the PCB. The remote is correct. You've taught me a lot about how this remote works, thank you. I wonder if I've ruined it?

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Right . . . on the ODD connector type now.

If you are able to correctly relate the wire colors from the remote hand unit to the pin numbers marked on the foil pattern at the camera, It seems like modifying it into male and female PS2 type connectors might be permissible.