Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Dimensions of a pIаtter cарacitor

raspy

Jun 14, 2017
I am working on a small programming exercise which takes the number and size of pIаtters of a plаtter caраcitor as well as their distance and performs a simple calculation. I am looking for realistic values for testing, but I have no idea what the dimensions of a pIаtter cарacitor are nor where I can get that information from. Can anyone point me to a source?

I tried googling, but apart from a few textbook exercises (which are at least based one realistic values, I assume), I couldn't find anything ...

Thanks in advance!

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Welcome to EP.
I don't know what exactly your platter capacitor should look like. You could have a look at the sizes of typical ceramic SMD capacitors. Neglecting the inactive border area you can assume the plates within these capacitors to have the same size as the capacitor as seen from above. Plus there are many plates of alternating polarity stacked above each other to increase capacity (the pairwise capacitances add up). See this set of slides for some background information.

Hope this helps,
Harald

raspy

Jun 14, 2017
Thank you, this is helpful indeed. Regarding the diagram on the slides: How many pIаtters are there stacked above each other, approximately? I'm just looking for a crude estimation - are we talking about 10s or 1000s?