Maker Pro

Denon AVR-1912 E2/EA

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
Sorry, I didn't mean A-78V, but A-7V. Hm-m-michael

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
I would make sure you select an audio mode that will pass an analog signal such as bypass mode as opposed to one that might be looking for a digital signal.

You also might want to use a .01uf capacitor inline with your probe to block dc going to your speakers.

Yes, I do have an in-line capacitor in this home-made probe. I think it's about 100mF 50V. I have ditched the idea of using dvd,cd &c inputs from the back panel - though I did find, that when CD was selected, both tones were getting to those capacitors C801 and C833 (page 126). Michael

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
the burning question now is: where do I source a replacement 40xWay ribbon cable and . . . would it be an impossible pig to install? Michael

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Sorry, IC801 (pin 52) I now read -7.01V. Michael. (am I getting somewhere?)
Good job finding the dodgy ribbon cable!
Perhaps there's a problem with the crimped end, or the socket it's hooked to?
Look in the manual for the part number and try a Google search to see if you can find one.

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
Good job finding the dodgy ribbon cable!
Perhaps there's a problem with the crimped end, or the socket it's hooked to?
Look in the manual for the part number and try a Google search to see if you can find one.

Thanks, Tha fios agaibh. I have looked in the Service Manual, (page 132) This only shows it (presumably) as: a 40P card cable (FL Signal). This cable is dodgy at the crease where it is pressed into its 'socket'. I will tray 'Googling' it! Michael

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Michael @Studio1. . . . . .

Any chance that . . . ITEM 8 . . . is being the cable in question, as I couldn't see any underneath the unit that looked viable as having that dense of count of side by side cabling conductors.
Also looks like they have made HARD foldovers to that cable at two . . . RED dotted line . . . positions.
Also that looks like a type that has some clear plastic grab tabs that are used in stiffening and gripping in order to maneuver one end into its mating connection.
Have the ribbon cable end tabs been cleaned with a pencil eraser of any oxides, until shiny, then cleaned with alcohol to remove all traces of incurred eraser residue ?
THEN the stacking of enough mixed layers of cut to size index card stock, to make a snug fitting cardboard plug in, to then be soaked with alcohol and inserted m u u u u u ltiple times, to clean the internal pressure contacts.

PARTS CITY . . . . .

http://www.avsystemparts.com/home-t...7052-101-1-skp6503-30-7028-07052-201-1-parts/

Here, you have a WHOLE . . .less any already cannibalized boards . . UNIT , that is available for 10 cents on the dollar.
Who's to say that they wouldn't pull only that cable and send it . . .'oer the waters to you . . . for a song ?
FIO . . .
With this being a circa 2011 design unit . . . . . I am seeing that the utilized IC801 . . . a Renasas product . . . is now being designated as an END OF LINE item already.

On this unit, looks like it might have had a full 160 lbs of force impounded upon it at the two very far end red speaker connections, as it hit the ground/floor/concrete.

CABLE REFERENCING . . .

upload_2018-1-31_14-54-11.png

73's de Edd

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
Sir Michael @Studio1. . . . . .

Any chance that . . . ITEM 8 . . . is being the cable in question, as I couldn't see any underneath the unit that looked viable as having that dense of count of side by side cabling conductors.
Also looks like they have made HARD foldovers to that cable at two . . . RED dotted line . . . positions.

73's de Edd

YES!!! Thanks for your input 73's de Edd. This is indeed the 40xWay ribbon cable CX4 (page 129) The end which is slotted into the connector on the HDMI_B'D - the intermittent break is, I think, in that first acute bend at the HDMI_B'D end. I haven't been removing this CX4 very much as it was possible to simply remove the three white-eended plug-in standard cables, disconnect from both the SIDE_CONT and FRONT_CONT B'D's and then drape the HDMI pcb over the front of the unit. However with this intermittent AUXL I discovered that 'flexing' that CX4 ribbon caused the intermittent to make & break. I have now disconnected that ribbon from the connector block on the component side of the HDMI_B'D and found some of the exposed 'fingers' are coming away from the ribbon base and will therefore not be reliable to attempt secure re-connection. I was contemplating cutting the end of the ribbon off, exposing the connector 'fingers', attaching the stiffening strip on the back again - but is this feasible? What glue is used to connect this backing stiffening strip? Or is it attached by some heating process to melt the plastics together? I must read your interesting reply again before posting this - so wait a mo' . . . . Yes! avsystem parts seems the best way to go! Many thanks for the introduction! With the imminent demise of the IC801 unit by Renasas it seems the AVR-1912 is d o o m e d ! Not very old though is it! 2011? As to the ribbon ends being cleaned with an pencil eraser - not by me, however if the end can't be chopped off and rebuilt - cutting out that acute crease where the break is - then contacting avsystemparts must be the way forward. If I can 'charm them' into desoldering the pcb connector instead of just cutting it off that would be truly great! Many thanks for the link. Michael 09:10 GMT 1st Feb.

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
YES!!! Thanks for your input 73's de Edd. This is indeed the 40xWay ribbon cable CX4 (page 129) The end which is slotted into the connector on the HDMI_B'D - the intermittent break is, I think, in that first acute bend at the HDMI_B'D end. I haven't been removing this CX4 very much as it was possible to simply remove the three white-eended plug-in standard cables, disconnect from both the SIDE_CONT and FRONT_CONT B'D's and then drape the HDMI pcb over the front of the unit. However with this intermittent AUXL I discovered that 'flexing' that CX4 ribbon caused the intermittent to make & break. I have now disconnected that ribbon from the connector block on the component side of the HDMI_B'D and found some of the exposed 'fingers' are coming away from the ribbon base and will therefore not be reliable to attempt secure re-connection. I was contemplating cutting the end of the ribbon off, exposing the connector 'fingers', attaching the stiffening strip on the back again - but is this feasible? What glue is used to connect this backing stiffening strip? Or is it attached by some heating process to melt the plastics together? I must read your interesting reply again before posting this - so wait a mo' . . . . Yes! avsystem parts seems the best way to go! Many thanks for the introduction! With the imminent demise of the IC801 unit by Renasas it seems the AVR-1912 is d o o m e d ! Not very old though is it! 2011? As to the ribbon ends being cleaned with an pencil eraser - not by me, however if the end can't be chopped off and rebuilt - cutting out that acute crease where the break is - then contacting avsystemparts must be the way forward. If I can 'charm them' into desoldering the pcb connector instead of just cutting it off that would be truly great! Many thanks for the link. Michael 09:10 GMT 1st Feb.
Hello 73's de Edd - I looked at AVSYSTEMPARTS site but could not find an e-Mail address anywhere - there seems to be no way of contacting them to 'put the question'. I also tried selecting a 'part' from the list, but part (8) could be a fuse block instead of the ribbon cable - therefore I didn't commit. Any ideas?

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
Hello again 73's de Edd - I have just had a 'brain-wave' and discovered that this 40-way ribbon cable simply pulls out at the Front B'D end - as well as at the HDMI_B'D end. Now I have a 12" length of ribbon cable - no desoldering needed. I wonder who makes these up with clear plastic grab tabs at each end?

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
Hello Tha fios agaibh - Good thought! thanks. The 'pitch' needs to be 1:00mm - I have just been googling this and found there are three 'pitches' 0.5mm., 1mm (I forget what the third one is ) but this ribbon is 40mm wide and has 40 ways so its pitch must be 1mm. I also found 'direction' was a factor. Not sure what this might mean (not voltage or signal I'm sure) but could be the way it 'lies' - on which side of the ribbon the plastic pull tag is? I'm sure the 'ffc' component is important for this will be referring to copper or stranded conductors I think? This is, of course, flat copper. This ribbon has the repeat numbering on it (on the 'contact side) E345287 RU (backwards) AWM 20624 80C 60V, VW-1 (and I don't think this last refers to a make of car). Michael 11:50 GMT 1st Feb.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Sorry Michael, I couldn't find an exact match for your ffc cable. Probably best to try and get the oem part from Denon.

I know this is a long shot, but sometimes you can locate the exact break in the conductor and scrape off (or melt off with a pencil tip iron) the insulation and fix the fractured conductor with a blob of solder. If the break in one of the outside conductors your chances of success are better.

I'm curious, Have you tried seeing if you now have full amplification through the receiver while manipulating the dodgy cable?

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
I have been testing the olde 40 way ribbon cable in my Lab with the following results: Referring to (page 129) for the identity. Way and pin 5 - No connection. That's supposed to be A-7V. Way and pin 8 - No connection. That's supposed to be VAUXL. Surprise, surprise. Seems that was where the trouble was all the time. Should I experiment with this olde 40 way ribbon? Nothing to lose I suppose. So what should I do? I propose removing the 'grab tab', shearing off the HDMI_B'D end at the nearest crease (where I'm sure the breakage is) gluing on the grab tab and revealing the conductor tabs. The existing conductor tabs are coming away from the back casing of the ribbon so they will not be able to be re-connected whatever I do. After posting this I'll wait to see if there are any comments or advice about my proposal - such as 'How to glue/affix the grab tab' or 'How to reveal the conductor tabs without damaging them' &c. I really hope for some advice on those counts. Michael. 17:28 GMT

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
Sorry Michael, I couldn't find an exact match for your ffc cable. Probably best to try and get the oem part from Denon.

I know this is a long shot, but sometimes you can locate the exact break in the conductor and scrape off (or melt off with a pencil tip iron) the insulation and fix the fractured conductor with a blob of solder. If the break in one of the outside conductors your chances of success are better.

I'm curious, Have you tried seeing if you now have full amplification through the receiver while manipulating the dodgy cable?
The 40-Way Ribbon is in very poor shape since some of the conductor tabs have raised from the ribbon back. So, No - I haven't tried seeing if I get full amplification through the receiver whilst 'manipulating' CX4 ribbon. I have sent a request to Farnell with the specs of the old ribbon to see if they can come up with a replacement. I've also discovered that CX4 ribbon is a simple two-ended push-fit ribbon and NOT soldered in at the Front Unit (page 130) You suggest an OEM part from Denon - a good idea! Why didn't I think of this? Well I did, but they refused to sell me that 'Jig for Servicing' (page 43) 8U-110084S as I am not a qualified service engineer - so I had second thoughts about approaching them again! However 'Nothing ventured, nothing gained' so I'll contact them. Your suggestion of a repair with a blob of solder is quite ingenious - however, there are two breaks - conductor 5 (A-7V) and conductor 8 (VAUXL) so they're not on the outside. I wonder which way the -7V is going? Toward the Front Unit - or toward the HDMI_B'D? Michael 17:48GMT

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
So I peeled off the 'grab tab' - it came off quite readily - took my carpet shears and brutally sliced off the ribbon end at the first crease. Then I squeezed a thin line of CA glue onto the printed side, put the grab tab in place, squeezed out and blotted off any excess and weighted id town on the Lab bench top with a 20 lb. length of bull-head rail (an off-cut which I happen to have - useful as an anvil as well) and it's just . . . gluing up there. BUT will I find a suitably accurate way to bare the 40 contacts . . . ? Time will tell - then I'll tell you. Michael 18:30GMT

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
SIr Michael @ Studio1 . . . . .

I researched your cables marked on ID # for its associative UL and RU member codes and it seems both Pioneer and Denon use this ribbon cable source.
ONLY . . .¥ 0.72 . . . . .BABYCAKES ! . . . . .if they deal in onesies- twosies . . .

LINK REFERENCING . . . . .

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?i...21be02cb793b27cf2cfe76c8b&skuId=3609122131214

Or . . . . . if you onlee spleekee de englee . . .

https://translate.google.com/transl...b27cf2cfe76c8b&skuId=3609122131214&edit-text=

73's de Edd

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018

I researched your cables marked on ID # for its associative UL and RU member codes and it seems both Pioneer and Denon use this ribbon cable source.

ONLY . . .¥ 0.72 . . . . .BABYCAKES ! . . . . .if they deal in onesies- twosies . . .

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?i...21be02cb793b27cf2cfe76c8b&skuId=3609122131214
Hello and Grateful Thanks, 73's de Edd!! I'm not sure if you've seen how I am attempting a repair to the old CX4 ribbon cable - but it may well be a disaster! I'm using CA Glue to attach the grab to the printed side having already sheared off this rather fragmented ended ribbon (the contacts were coming away from the backing so wouldn't have plugged in anyway) at the first crease. Now I need to devise a method of removing the ribbon casing from one side to reveal those contacts without damage. I'm waiting for Google Translater to interpret the Chinese (I suppose it is) into engleesh as I compose this reply. Many thanks for your delving, much appreciated - particularly now as it seems the 'End is Nigh' - or is it? Michael 20:50GMT

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=556443776329&ali_trackid=2:mm_27282609_10224517_34026872:1517512602_239_242673198&clk1=07dbc4621be02cb793b27cf2cfe76c8b&upsid=07dbc4621be02cb793b27cf2cfe76c8b&skuId=3609122131214&edit-text=

73's de Edd

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=556443776329&ali_trackid=2:mm_27282609_10224517_34026872:1517512602_239_242673198&clk1=07dbc4621be02cb793b27cf2cfe76c8b&upsid=07dbc4621be02cb793b27cf2cfe76c8b&skuId=3609122131214&edit-text=

73's de Edd

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
I haven't looked at the schematic/board layout in a few days but I was thinking there might have been a plan "B" or should I say plan "C" for cheapskate?

Look if there is a convenient place to tap into missing conductors 5 and 8 with separate conductors while leaving the ribbon cable as it is (was).
Alas, the carpet shears put an end to that idea.