Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Denon AVR-1912 E2/EA

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
OK. I have downloaded Adobe Acrobat reader in Chrome. Now I must find my original Download of the Service Manual V.6 of the Denon AVR-1912 E2/EA . . . . Michael Studio1 UK 15:57BST

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
OK - I have opened the Service Manual, selected the REG_CNT B'D and was able to enlarge any part of that page with a 'magnifying glass' which gave only one option of enlargement - and a circular one at that. However, this is so much better than all the head-band magnification I have been using on the printed Cct.Diags. and I must thank you all for your help! I was only trying to figure out what caused those two fuses (F105 & F106) to blow. I'm waiting for China Post to deliver my two Darlingtons and the third Transistor on the Heatsink for that SBL Channel - and can go no further until they arrive. Michael Studio1 UK 16:24BST

bushtech

Sep 13, 2016
upload_2018-3-26_21-4-39.png

In the middle of this printscreen (of Adobe) at the top is a PC monitor. Right above it is a block that says 100%. Click the down arrow next to it and select the magnification you want

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
View attachment 40384

In the middle of this printscreen (of Adobe) at the top is a PC monitor. Right above it is a block that says 100%. Click the down arrow next to it and select the magnification you want

Thank you, Bushtech - I will try to replicate this on the Studio Dell laptop or on the Lab WIN7 PC. - which would be even better as the AVR is in bits on the Lab bench. I must not, however tempting, use the DAW in the Studio for this - just in case I press the wrong buttons! Michael Studio1 UK 10:43BST

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
Hello John and Dave - I'm on the Lab 'HomeMade' PC based on an ASUS M2N4-E SLE Mo-Bo. It's even got a floppy drive but only has USB2 ports (not USB3) - and, of course, a Serial (COM1) port (for the UNI-T 61E DVM) + PS2 ports etc. A bit 'retro' but covers all eventualities. Built it ourselves from Mo-Bo up. On with the motley, then. I have Adobe Acrobat Reader on this PC but I'm going round in circles in my attempts to open the Service Manual in it - in order to take advantage of the magnification aspect. I haven't got e-mail on this PC though. Michael Studio1 UK 18:43BST

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
It's a convenience thing. Personally, I'd rather look at a printed hard copy where you can rearrange pages or mark them up with notes. But yes, the electronic version has its advantages too.

If your old computer is fit for the Smithsonian and difficult to read the file, don't worry about it. We're happy to help you look for closer details of the manual when needed.

Let's not overlook one huge advantage you have over many trying to do service work.
You have an actual print to follow.

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
Ok, Lab PC = Win 7
Adobe version ?
What happens when you try to open the manual?
Hello Dave - thanks for your reply: When trying to open the Manual, I find it isn't on the list of pdf's. The part of Adobe I am looking at says it's: Yhomedr1_12_0_20.pdf 61KB. On selecting and clicking on this I get: Welcome to Acrobat Reader - tips: 01 Access your files in the Home tab 02 Use the page controls for easy reading 03 Get all of the Tools from the Tools tab. Option '02' seems like my requirement. But it seems there's no .pdf for the Service Manual there on the Lab PC. Michael Studio1 UK 08:21BST

Last edited:

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
It's a convenience thing. Personally, I'd rather look at a printed hard copy where you can rearrange pages or mark them up with notes. But yes, the electronic version has its advantages too.

If your old computer is fit for the Smithsonian and difficult to read the file, don't worry about it. We're happy to help you look for closer details of the manual when needed.

Let's not overlook one huge advantage you have over many trying to do service work.
You have an actual print to follow.

Thanks for your reply, John - I agree - and I too prefer poring over the printed Cct.Diags. - but much of the data is too small and I need to wear the magnifying headband with all its 'bells and whistles' to properly see everything. One of the penalties of advanced age, I fear. I am replying to Dave (see above - time-line-wise) re: the Adobe syndrome and its appearance on the Lab ASUS PC. - not exactly a candidate for the Smithsonian yet! It would be extremely useful to be able to selectively enlarge the Cct.Diags. on that PC. and I do look forward to and follow your help and advice. I used to have one of 'Uncle' Clive Sinclair's early computers - it used small tape drives as memory. Now there's a Smithsonian candidate if ever there was one! Michael Studio1 UK 08:40BST

bushtech

Sep 13, 2016
There are two ways to open a file: Either you go to File Explorer, find the file and double click it, or you open the program for the file, click on file/open, navigate to the folder that contains the file you want to open and click on the file.

If you have never opened a certain file in Adobe it will not automagically show in Adobe, you need to show Adobe where it is, then it will show up afterwards.

You are probably looking for avr1912e3.pdf and if you downloaded it using this computer it is probably in C:/Downloads

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
While waiting for the China Post to deliver my SBL Darlington pair of Transistors (is Xistor a short form for transisitor?) I am looking at the three Xistors of the SBL Amp. which were deemed faulty and have applied the PEAK DCA55 to them. Both
Errr, my name is Dries, not Dave[/QUOTE
Apologies, Dries! I don't know where I got the 'Dave' from! Whilst waiting the arrival of the pair of Darlington Xistors I applied the PEAK DCA55 to the old ones (curiosity-without which we just as well pack it all in) and found both Darlingtons Q464 (2SD2390) and Q470 (2SB1560) exhibited short Cct across either all three legs or between just two legs. As for the Q469 (2SC3964) it was shown as a Silicon Xistor with the usual complement of Base, Emitter and Collector. Further analysis showed Current Gain HFE = 1050 with a Test Current Ic=2.50mA. and a Base-Emitter VBE=0.68V Test current IB=4.73Ma and Leakage current = Ic=0.00mA I don't know if this reading means that Q469 is OK or not?? If so I could reinstate it and just wait for the two Darlingtons.but all three are awaiting the China Post anyway. Michael Studio1 UK 18:02BST

Last edited:

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
Can you now open the manual in Adobe?

The datasheet of the 2sc3964 only shows a minimum Hfe of 500 albeit at a different Vce and Ice so in my opinion it's OK but then I know nothing of these things

http://www.futurlec.com/Transistors/2SC3964.shtml
Thank you, Dries, yes I can now open the Service Manual in Adobe on the Lab PC. Don't be too modest! I'm sure you know more than I do about these things! So the waiting for the China Post continues and the chassis sits on the bench senza the 7Channel Amp and its large heatsink. Nothing further I can do on it. Michael Studio1 UK 20:39BST

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Adobe won't list
Thank you, Dries, yes I can now open the Service Manual in Adobe on the Lab PC. Don't be too modest!...Nothing further I can do on it.
I agree, Dries has been very helpful.

...So Michael, you've checked all the electrolytic caps and they all tested good with low esr values?

If you've found questionable ones, it's not a bad idea to just replace them all in that section. They are likely nearing the end of their lifespan.

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
Adobe won't list

I agree, Dries has been very helpful.

...So Michael, you've checked all the electrolytic caps and they all tested good with low esr values?

If you've found questionable ones, it's not a bad idea to just replace them all in that section. They are likely nearing the end of their lifespan.

Hello John - thanks for your suggestion. You have just given me a job to do - check out all those electrolytics. I will do that again to ensure all is well in that area. I was relying on Denon using top-of-the-line components - and so they may do but - you are right - age is a common problem regardless. A very good idea and well worth the effort. The PEAK DC55 is designed (it says) to analyse capacitor ESR in or out of circuit and it doesn't matter which way round its probes are connected. Though in-circuit testing can result in less accurate readings. So with that caveat in mind I shall set-to and tackle the AVR B'D by B'D. Today. Michael Studio1 UK 07:37BST

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
Later: I have checked 'IN Circuit' all the Electrolytics in the 7CHANNEL_B'D with the following comments: Just what constitutes an unacceptable ESR.? The majority give a 0.50Ω or less. A few give as much as 0.71Ω. C515 gives a reading 'In Circuit Leaky but has an ESR 0.22Ω. This is the only Cap I am concerned about - because of the 'leaky' factor. Physically it is one of the five caps. on Page106/N6 leading to pin3 of CN404 'ASO_DET' I vaguely remember having removed C515 due to this 'Leaky' business and checked it out of Cct and found the cap. OK. But I shall remove it again for confirmation. Removing one leg from the B'D the Cap. measures: - 45.4μF. 0.19ΩESR Michael Studio1 UK 18:42BST.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Just what constitutes an unacceptable ESR?
Good question, I usually just look up an esr chart or two as a reference.
I recommend looking at several charts because the resistance values can vary widely.
Note the values change depending on the voltage rating of the same uf value cap.

You can usually check esr in circuit but capacitance must be checked out of circuit.

I wouldn't pay a premium for oem Denon parts, but I would pay a premium for higher temperature ratings or voltage ratings provided they physically fit in the pcb.
Screenshot_2018-03-29-14-22-59-1.png