Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Denon AVR-1912 E2/EA

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
going going gone silent e

not as cone or bone
BUT if, like me, you're British (Rah! Rah! Rah!) and frightfully top hat, old thing, you'll call them scones. to rhyme with ice cream . . . . Still waiting for the 22Ω power resistor and the three power transistors (one pair is Darlington) Michael Studio1 UK 10:26GMT

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
In the mean-time the AVR-1012 E2/EA is in its

In the mean-time, whilst every PCB is out of the chassis, I propose going through all the electrolytics with the Peak ESR Capacitor Tester and all the Diodes with an Ohm-meter to see if I can find any dubious qualities amongst them. There is the accepted problem of firing up the AVR without the 7CHANNEL_AMP. unit in place - I doubt it would accept this without turning itself off within 5 Secs. I wonder if there's a way round this 'safety' feature - to emulate the 7CH_AMP - to allow for more in-depth 'doubtful-component' hunting. Anyone have any ideas about this? Michael Studio1 UK 16:25GMT

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
There are, however, some potential problems - can Diodes, Zener Diodes and Electrolytic Capacitors be tested 'IN Cct.? I'm getting some strange readings (compared to the information on the Electrolytic Capacitors) - likewise on the Diodes of both types. Maybe this is a non-starter. Michael Studio1 UK 18:57GMT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
There are, however, some potential problems - can Diodes, Zener Diodes and Electrolytic Capacitors be tested 'IN Cct.?.
You can often check esr values of electrolytic caps in circuit, but usually not diodes because the components connected to them. You can find shorted diodes in circuit, but usually not be able to read actual voltage drop (Vf) without unsoldering one leg of the diode first.
I suggest you dont try to power it up at this stage.

I know you'll be excited when your resistors come in the mail.

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
You can often check esr values of electrolytic caps in circuit, but usually not diodes because the components connected to them. You can find shorted diodes in circuit, but usually not be able to read actual voltage drop (Vf) without unsoldering one leg of the diode first.
I suggest you dont try to power it up at this stage.

I know you'll be excited when your resistors come in the mail.

Thanks John - I can hardly contain myself . . . The 22Ω resistor has arrived and is in Cct. now (lead-free solder stipulated) and I have been testing and identifying all the Electrolytic Caps in the PCB's - making notes and cogitating. 'Frinstance my Peak Capacitor Tester shows quite a few variations from the actual value printed on the Cap itself - looking at the Cct. I can see why. A 0.1μF Cap will be shown as 'Open Circuit or Low Capacitance' But all this information goes by the board when I come to the three fuses F104, F105, F106 on the small REG_CNT B'D - where I find F105 and F106 are both blown. I wonder when? I also must find out what these two Fuses controlled . . . I also wonder whether, once the three Transistors finally arrive via China Post, are installed - and the AVR powered up, whether the whole thing will work now? Exciting - isn't it! As for soldering and de-soldering from these AVR B'D's - the foils are so very fragile and inclined to detach from the B'D's that I fight shy, whenever possible, of going that route. It very much depends on the inherent strength of the component's connector wires and the heat of the soldering iron. Michael Studio1 UK 15:02GMT

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
I do not know if you have some component that overloaded the circuit, or you accidentally shorted out the 5v?

If you are ordering replacements, it'd be wise to order several extra fuses in case the overload is still present.

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
I do not know if you have some component that overloaded the circuit, or you accidentally shorted out the 5v?

If you are ordering replacements, it'd be wise to order several extra fuses in case the overload is still present.

Hello John - back home? - I cannot think how this 'fuse-blowing' happened. How do you get such large 'copy' of the Service Manual? I have to wear goodness-knows how many lenses to see the small-print on my down-loaded and printed copy. This has been my continual night-mare. These fuses are very odd sized: 1.6A I only have 1A and 2A glass fuses of this type. Maybe 2A will be OK? Michael Studio1 UK 08:52GMT

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Hello John - back home? - ....These fuses are very odd sized: 1.6A... Maybe 2A will be OK?
Yes, We had a great time but it's good to be home. I must admit, It did suck to have to put on our winter coats when we got back.

I use my phone to view the .pdf file and use the zoom feature (like bushtech mentioned).
One big advantage of viewing the file electronically is that you can search for things easily.
There is a table of contents to quickly jump to sections of the file, and there is a magnifying glass where you can type in what you want to search for. For example; type in F106, and then click the right arrow and it will bring up its location. Click the right arrow again and it will show the next F106 location.
You might want to check Adobe for updates on your computer to make sure it runs optimally.

As for the fuses, I think I would try and see if a 1amp fuse would hold for a long duration without blowing, before you try a larger size.
If you go right to a 2amp, there's a chance you'll overload something if the fault reappears. I don't think they specified a non-standard size 1.6a fuse just for the heck of it.
Also, make sure you don't use slow blowing type fuses in place of the fast acting type fuses.

Now, I need to put a warm sweater on and make more coffee.

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
Yes, We had a great time but it's good to be home. I must admit, It did suck to have to put on our winter coats when we got back.

I use my phone to view the .pdf file and use the zoom feature (like bushtech mentioned).
One big advantage of viewing the file electronically is that you can search for things easily.
There is a table of contents to quickly jump to sections of the file, and there is a magnifying glass where you can type in what you want to search for. For example; type in F106, and then click the right arrow and it will bring up its location. Click the right arrow again and it will show the next F106 location.
You might want to check Adobe for updates on your computer to make sure it runs optimally.

As for the fuses, I think I would try and see if a 1amp fuse would hold for a long duration without blowing, before you try a larger size.
If you go right to a 2amp, there's a chance you'll overload something if the fault reappears. I don't think they specified a non-standard size 1.6a fuse just for the heck of it.
Also, make sure you don't use slow blowing type fuses in place of the fast acting type fuses.

Now, I need to put a warm sweater on and make more coffee.

Thanks, John. Glad you enjoyed Mexico. The Studiio Dell with its Google Chrome O.S. doesn't support Adobe so I will try the Lab P.C. whuch uses WIN7 O.S. This is the PC I use with the UNI-T UT61E Multimeter, and with the Endoscope for close searching the various PCB's in dark inaccessible places. Not sure if it has Adobe on it - if not I'll download it and go from there. I agree, a fast acting 1amp fuse in the two places. Michael Studio1 UK 20:22BST - British Summer Time - though that's questionable right now - not summery enough!

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Not sure if it has Adobe on it - if not I'll download it and go from there

just so you are clear, all you need is Adobe PDF reader .... it is available for pretty much any platform out there, PC's Mac's , and all mobile phones, tablets etc

I would be EXTREMELY surprised if your google chrome OS cannot run Adobe PDF reader
My android phone, which is now google based OS can easily run the PDF reader

Last edited:

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
just so you are clear, all you need is Adobe PDF reader .... it is available for pretty much any platform out there, PC's Mac's , and all mobile phones, tablets etc

I would be EXTREMELY surprised if your google chrome OS cannot run Adobe PDF reader
My android phone, which is now google based OS can easily run the PDF reader
Thanks, John, but it is so. I attempted to down-load Adobe and was given the options of O.S. - Windows, MAC and Android. No mention of Chrome. You have a look! Michael Studio1 UK 09:37BST

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Chrome is a Windows based operating system, so I would download the windows option.
You just need Adobe acrobat reader as Dave mentioned.

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
Chrome is a Windows based operating system, so I would download the windows option.
You just need Adobe acrobat reader as Dave mentioned.
Thanks, John. I assumed Chrome was rather like UBUNTU - I found other programmes which do not work on Chrome - so I simply assumed this was just another of those. Michael Studio1 UK 15:49BST