Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Damaged dc power jack traces

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovox

Mar 11, 2015
I had trouble de soldering the old dc powerjack and got too impatient and damaged the traces in the process. The other side is undamaged and those three traces are the only problem with this motherboard. I've started sanding the board to expose some copper for the new traces to bridge to the pins on the dc jack. Before I go any further I would like to get more feedback on how to do it correctly. Am I going in the right direction and is this going to create any short? I was also watching this youtube vid as an example.

Pic in link
http://imgur.com/Iq45mkk

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
You've gotta have some skills in replacing the trace on a PCB. If you haven't done it before, I'd do some practicing on a acrap board fist.
I didn't watch your video, but the pic looks like it might be what I'd try in your case. Use a thin wire (I usually cut the lead off a resistor) and solder from the remnants of the trace on the board to the replaced component.
It's quick and effective.
While you're practicing trace replacement on that scrap board, you might want to practice some desoldering, without damaging the trace. Things go a lot better if you can replace parts without damaging the trace on the board.

kpatz

Feb 24, 2014
Sometimes it's easier, and more reliable, to solder a jumper wire to bypass a damaged trace. Find a point on the board that the damaged trace connects to, and solder a wire between the power jack and that point.

ovox

Mar 11, 2015
Sometimes it's easier, and more reliable, to solder a jumper wire to bypass a damaged trace. Find a point on the board that the damaged trace connects to, and solder a wire between the power jack and that point.

I don't think I have three points on the motherboard that connect to the dc jack.

ovox

Mar 11, 2015
You've gotta have some skills in replacing the trace on a PCB. If you haven't done it before, I'd do some practicing on a acrap board fist.
I didn't watch your video, but the pic looks like it might be what I'd try in your case. Use a thin wire (I usually cut the lead off a resistor) and solder from the remnants of the trace on the board to the replaced component.
It's quick and effective.
While you're practicing trace replacement on that scrap board, you might want to practice some desoldering, without damaging the trace. Things go a lot better if you can replace parts without damaging the trace on the board.

I think I've watched enough videos on how to solder correctly and im ready. Is this other anon correct in being able to sand anything inside the orange box even the small copper circles? This wouldn't create any short? Also I've acquired some copper foil for trace repair, how would I go about making a trace with this foil if I already sanded to create new traces?

http://imgur.com/66DJI8A

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Like I said, it takes some skill which you acquire through practice.
If you think you've got the skills, you epoxy the replacement trace to the board where you want it, and solder the trace end-points in place. (Use an Exacto knife to cut the trace you need)
Be very careful if you're sanding on the board, so no conductive particles short other components on the board.
There are several companies that make kits to replace the trace on damaged boards
The exposed copper trace is specifically so you can solder to it. Sanding the copper circles (pads), is so that solder will stick to them. But again, clean the area so no conductive particles short components.

KKEEVV

Jul 8, 2017

I have a large spool of old MA BELL phone line I use for the purpose you describe. It's quick and easy.

I would also like to learn to replace bad trace with copper foil. My question concerns adhesive. I live in a small town and rely heavily on the local Lowes, they just closed our Radioshack. My mobility is limited and I can't make online purchases. Is there some off the shelf adhesive/epoxy I can purchase at a DYI brick and motor, that I can use to apply and cover trace with?

Also, and this may sound silly, but I was thinking of re-purposing trace from a defunct PCB. I'm doing this as a hobby. I'm not concerned about time or $income$. Can anyone give me other ideas for scavenging copper foil?

The county waste collection center is my "BESTBUY" outlet. I get all my electronics there. The computer I'm on now (DELL OPTIPLEX dual core 3g ram 500 g HDD) came from the junkyard. Some of the stuff I get is dated but it's free. Plus I prevent it from adding to the land fill. Don't get me wrong I'm about free, not green! I wish I had the space to have my own electronics bone yard.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I have a large spool of old MA BELL phone line I use for the purpose you describe. It's quick and easy.

this is a very old thread to which original poster never returned

be aware of not posting to old threads
I will lock it now :)

If you wish to start your own new thread on your question, go for it
copy what you wrote above and paste into new thread :)

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.