Maker Pro
Maker Pro

dakota 2001 TPS

" Moe " morris shouse

Apr 1, 2017
Ill try to make this short. so you know what I wait. I have a 2001 dakota V 6 3.9 engine. Auto trans rebuilt in 2014. w / shift kit. New engine one year ago. Less than 10,000 miles. Totally stock. After the new engine right off it started dieing at idle with the A / C on. The shop spent a lot of time trying to fix that. The idle rpm is around 700-600. if I try to step the idle speed up the computer just treys to compensate. I have read that this is common problem. I have been looking at the TPS, that has 3 wires. The TPS is feed 5 volt from the computer. And a ground. Then it has a potentiometer / or rheostat that changes the 5 volt to .8 to 4.8 to the computer depending on the throttle opening. The voltage goes up as throttle is opened more. I read about punching the spacers in the TPS block to turn it some giving a diff volt to the computer. This has helped some. I want to inject a diff volt going to the computer. I think an OPP-AMP will do what I want. That can be adjusted inside the cab. But I find many different OP-AMPS. Also I made a breakout box to check all 3 wires. It is very interesting. And found one guy on the INTERNET that put some caps across the 5 volt to the .8 to 4.8. I did this in the box. It helped make the .8-4.8 more stable. Sorry about the long post but iam very up set that the old engine ran fine and my mech cant fix the new engine if I can fix it. I want to take it back and show him how it should be. I know my fix isnt stock. But it is a FIX.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Congratulations on making things better than they were. With all the new fancy electronics going into vehicles these
days, I'm not surprised some auto-MECHANICS are stumped about how to deal with electronic problems.
Looks like the way to go, is to cruise the internet for specific vehicles, and find out what others have done to try
to fix the problems they encounter.