Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Cruise control for fly by wire motorcycle

Magoogle

Jul 31, 2012
Not sure how this would work. But im sure its possible.

How its setup:
The motorcycle hand controls turn a cable which in turn turns the (TPS) throttle position sensor.

the TPS then tells the ECU how much to open the butterfly valves.

How would I determine the type of output the TPS sends the ECU? I would like to mimic it with a digital potentiometer
or similar system which should effectively let me "lock" the throttle at a specific speed.

I would then like to implement a "cutoff" that once the brakes or clutch is pulled it would turn off.

Here are some pictures of the setup. You can see the TPS attached to the silver bracket that the throttle cables twist.throttlebodies 1.jpg throttlebodies 2.jpg

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
I don't like to be a party-pooper but ......
Have you checked with your insurer that your policy won't be invalidated by a modification such as this?
Are you willing to trust your life (and the lives of others) to a home-brew circuit designed by a bunch of unknowns on a forum? If the circuit were to fail such that control of the throttle was lost the result could be horrendous.

Magoogle

Jul 31, 2012
Motorcycles come stock with cruise control these days. (expensive ones)

Aftermarket kits are also available that do this.

Motorcycles have kill switches if something was to happen. This would only be used in final gear which means even if it told the throttle to open all the way it wouldnt do much on the initial acceleration.

Magoogle

Jul 31, 2012
Ok.. Could someone point me in the right direction of what type of equipment I would need to determine how the TPS sends information to the throttle-body motor?

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
Sorry, I haven't had the displeasure to work on motorcycles.

Most common automotive TPS units that I see are supplied with 5v and output a voltage depending on throttle position. Output range is usually about 0.5v at closed throttle and increasing to 4.5v at full throttle. Different manufacturers will have slightly different outputs. Easily measured with a digital voltmeter.

There are also some that output a PWM signal, rather than straight voltage. The output can be measured with a multimeter that has Duty Cycle and Frequency ranges. Frequency will stay constant and duty cycle will change as throttle position changes, eg 10% at closed throttle increasing to 90% at full throttle.

Not sure about bikes, but some TPS units also have an Idle Validation Switch(IVS).