Maker Pro
Maker Pro

CRT television not working anymore.

Yeah Boi

Mar 24, 2018
Hello! Two days ago, I was playing when something seemed to pop off, that was the sound I heard. There was nothing anymore, I turned off and on the television, and the noise it makes by booting was not the same. Indeed, no image or sound is there, just the light telling me the television was on. It is a 1999 Sony Trinitron of the line series KV-32S40. I was using it for gaming forever before it stopped working, so I would be pleased if I could repair it.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
My guess is that there is now a power supply fault.

Beware that CRT television sets have very high voltages inside.

I'd strongly recommend you get someone qualified to look at it unless you're comfortable (and safe) working around high voltages.

Yeah Boi

Mar 24, 2018
So it is true that working on it even when unplugged is still dangerous? Plus, I have no idea what to replace.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
So it is true that working on it even when unplugged is still dangerous? Plus, I have no idea what to replace.

Yes. There are capacitors which can hold a charge for quite some time after the power is removed. Whilst they're unlikely to kill you, your reaction to getting shocked by them can cause you to do damage to yourself or the thing you're repairing.

Leave it an hour or so and you should be fine ("should" is not a guarantee).

At this stage we have no idea what's actually gone wrong either.

GeoffCC

Mar 19, 2018
If you don't understand CRTs at all then sit through this series of videos before taking the back off. Yes, it is 7-8 hours, but it really is worth it.

bigkim100

Apr 17, 2013
I think that its time to put this beast down. The cost to fix...probibly too much, so take it out back behind the barn, and pit it, andyou out of its Misery.