CPU out of logic gates

1. DrenDran

DrenDran

DrenDran submitted a new Showcase Item:

CPU out of logic gates

Read more about this showcase item here...

DrenDran, Apr 11, 2017
    Arouse1973 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. DrenDran

Bluejets

Bluejets, Apr 11, 2017
    Arouse1973 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. DrenDran

KeepItSimpleStupid

Back in the 80's , three of us decided to breadboard a very simple computer using SSI (5 Volt 74xx TTL) integrated circuits for a college course with a lab. This was about the time the 4004 and 8008 processors came out. One of us took the memory, I did the program counter/branching and another did the data structures.

I learned the "hard way" why the program counter has to point to the NEXT instruction.

The instruction set was 16 bits x 16 words and what we would call microcoded. It could sort a list of 4 bit numbers on ascending or descending order depending on the microcode.

Memory is cloudy. I think we had a bit that did "branch", branch on less (A<B). Branch on greater (A>B), swap, load A and load B and probably store A and store B. I just can't remember. That's almost 37 years ago.

I think the clock may have been a 555 timer. It wasn't fast and it wasn't intended to be.

The PDP-11 mini-computer schematics were an inspiration. If I remember right, instructions for that machine were microcoded into a 128 bit wide microcode.

I should still have my lab notes.

==

In the same time frame, two of us wrote an OS and machine simulator for a Computer Science class. A large feat for two people. Everyone else had 4 or 5 in the group.

==

At home, I wrote code for the 1802 processor. Everything was compiled manually. There is no subroutine instructions in the 1802. It passes the program counter to execute a branch. Any register can become the program counter. The first order of business was to write code that would emulate a subroutine call and return.

KeepItSimpleStupid, Jul 2, 2017
  4. DrenDran

Irv

I still have 2 or 3 of those, one a Netronics ELFII, and the others home-built, wirewrapped, with extended memory and an EPROM programmer. I suspect that, like most thing electronic, they'll no longer work after sitting around for 30+ years :(

The KENBAK-1, arguably the first "personal" computer, since you could buy one for only a month or two's salary, was built with logic gates, no microprocessor. Recently a Kenbak-1 sold for about $30,000.

Irv, Sep 6, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question