Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Convert a wall sconce to a plug-in.

Janice 221

Jul 4, 2018
Can I safely change a wall sconce from a hard wire to a plug in?
I will be using/adding a standard plug-in lamp cord that only have 2 wires. (purchased from home depot)

I recently purchased 2 small sconces and would like to attach them to my bookcases instead of the wall. They each came with a short unattached copper wire...that I don't know what to do with.

Last edited:

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
I will be using/adding a standard plug-in lamp cord that only have/has/had/gots 2 wires

Are the blades of the plug, both of the same width, or is one wider than the other ?.

The loose wire would be a grounding wire, for going to the ground connection within a hard wire junction box.
(Your answer to part 1 will determine its future use.)

And do you have a black and a white wire as being the sconce lamp wires color coding ?

Janice 221

Jul 4, 2018
my wall lamps 2 - Copy.jpg my wall lamps 2.jpg
Are the blades of the plug, both of the same width, or is one wider than the other ?.

The loose wire would be a grounding wire, for going to the ground connection within a hard wire junction box.
(Your answer to part 1 will determine its future use.)

And do you have a black and a white wire as being the sconce lamp wires color coding ?
Thank you so much 73"s de Edd for replying. These are my exact wall lamps in the photo. One plug blade is wider than the other. Yes there is a black and white wire on the lamp. Note I took a chance and wire them without adding the little copper wire, I plugged it into my outlet and the light came on flawlessly. Is this done properly/safe? or will I burn up.

Last edited:

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Mme Janice 221. . . . .

There is a 50/50 chance that you have already done it the safe way.

The WIDE blade of the plug and its connective wire is the designated grounded (safe / non shocking) side of the AC power wiring. . . .
While the NARROW blade and its connective wire is the HOT or ELECTRIFIED (126 VOLTS to SHIVER your timbers ) side of the AC power wiring.

So connect the AC line cords WIDE plug side wire to the WHITE ( ZERO WIRE) wire at the sconce lamp.

Connect the AC line cords NARROW plug side wire to the BLACK wire (FIRE WIRE) of the sconce lamp.

That will be the proper wiring connections to a wall outlet that is mating to that type of plug.

To help you to forever remember the live AC wiring color codes:
Associate WHITE with being a SAINTLY / safe color
While the color of BLACK is associated with DEATH .

upload_2018-7-4_13-11-25.png

73's de Edd

Last edited:

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Any connection to active or neutral conductor should never be considered as "safe" or "ground", rather with the same as "any gun". i.e. Loaded and dangerous unless specific tests and lockout prooves otherwise.