Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Conventional Current and Electron Flow

Immortalacorn

May 20, 2011
I'm new to this electronics thing and recently came across Conventional Current. So, I hear Conventional Current travels from positive to negative due to misleading scientific evidence some 100 years ago. I also hear most schematics use conventional current as well. My question, How does this conventional current work? If someone makes a schematic according to conventional current, wouldn't that mean they would have to flip around all the diodes and such? How can you build a circuit based of a schematic that is backwards? A diode can pass current 1 direction. If a schematic using CC has the diode facing one way, then how can the REAL current go through it?

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Electronic symbols for semiconductors have arrows pointing in the direction of conventional current flow.

There are few practical reasons (vacuum tubes excluded) where the direction of current flow is really important.

Pick one and work with it. (your circuit diagrams won't change, just your mental picture of which way charge is flowing)