Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Control for inverter on work truck

Danny Gray

Feb 25, 2017
I installed an inverter on my work truck and it has a remote switch so even though it is in a side bin I can turn it on from the cab. The problem is I want the inverter to come on automatically when the ignition is on. I originally planned to just use the normally open contacts of a relay in parallel to the remote switch till I realized that a the switch is a momentary switch. I found a circuit using 2 relays one with spst contacts the other with spdt contacts. The circuit uses a hot from the ignition to energize the coil on the spdt relay. The normally closed contact on this relay goes to ground the normally open goes to hot common goes to the identified terminal of a 1000 microfarad electrolytic capacitor the other end of the capacitor goes to the coil of the second relay the normally open contacts of the second relay are in parallel to the momentary switch on the inverter.

The circuit works like this when the ignition is turned on it energizes the first relay which charges the capacitor and energizes the coil on the second relay temporarily closing the contacts which are in parallel with the momentary switch on the inverter turning on the inverter. When the ignition is turned off the first relay is deenergized the capacitor is discharged through the normally closed contacts on the first relay.

The circuit works to some extent but if it is on for very long I assume that the capacitor bleeds off and turns the inverter off. It works fairly reliable but not 100% of the time. I am fairly certain that I have good connections on everything but I am trying to come up with a completely reliable circuit. Any suggestions?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Can you draw the circuit as it would be much easier to understand.