Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Connectors/cables suitable for removable modification boards?

TTL

Oct 24, 2013
I have a vintage computer with several modification-boards which are all soldered with wires directly to components on the computer's main board. I've decided to clean things up and want a solution where I can easily remove them for if needed, so some kind of connectors are in order.

First I thought about using Dupont connectors, but it occured to me that it's probably a good idea to keep any wires to the main board as short as possible, so I'm thinking some sort of connector which doesn't need to be attached to a PCB (Dupont connectors are meant for pin-headers as far as I know). I noticed a smart solution which came with one of my modification boards, but have no idea what its called (see photos below). Does anyone know more or might be able to suggest an even better solution?

20170522-181120__MG_9906.jpg

20170522-181043__MG_9904.jpg
NOTE: the two connector actually go closer together (the metal pin isn't exposed), but are a little apart here for illustration purposes.

TTL

Oct 24, 2013
On second thought.... could these be SIP sockets?
If I had any I'd try it out myself instead of posting here, but does a leg of a SIP socket go into (and stay securely) another SIP socket?
sipsocket.jpeg

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
I encountered a similar problem a few years ago when I wanted to "breakout" some RS-232 signals. I found a mating pair of DB-25 connectors, socket and plug, with removable terminals. After disassembling these, I was able to solder on insulated wires and add a bit of heat -shrink tubing to create a quite serviceable "breakout" set:

upload_2017-5-23_8-43-31.jpeg

You will have to find the manufacturer's datasheet for those SIP sockets to see if the pin ends will fit tightly in the socket receptacles. I seem to recall that it was iffy, depending on whose SIP sockets you used, but it may be some of these are designed to allow it to happen. One application would be stacking PCBs, one on top of the other, Arduino "shield" fashion.

If it works, I would prefer that to trying to find and disassemble a commercial connector with removable male and female pins. OTOH, the connector pins shown above are gold plated, as are the mating machined sockets, so they should be good for many years of service. IIRC, you can purchase individual pins and sockets for a wide variety of connectors, not just DB-style connectors, in a variety of current carrying capacities. Find what you want in the online catalog of electronic distributors.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
@heavans1994 has the right idea - getting hold of the pins/sockets for 'self-assembly' shells is straightforward enough but many people have spare plug/sockets that can be canabalised if you don't want to make a specific order for parts.