Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Connecting Two Pieces of Machinery Together for Signal/Power Compatibility

LionHeart

Oct 4, 2015
I have a piece of packaging machinery that I need to connect a screw conveyor to and cannot figure quite how to do it. The packaging machinery is supposed to send a signal to turn the screw conveyor on/off automatically when it senses its hopper is running low. The screw conveyor is a piece that I already had so now I am trying to figure out how to connect the two.

Been about 2 decades since I worked from schematics like this when in the service so I appreciate any tips and refreshers!

Photo 1 shows the filling/packaging machinery, which fills powder into pouches

Photo 2 shows the screw conveyor, which conveyos from a basin at the bottom to the top to fill the hopper sitting on top of the filling/packaging machinery

Photo 3 shows the back of the screw conveyor: there are 3 components to the screw conveyor - 1) the power supply (connects to 3 phase), 2) the switch to control it on/off, and 3) the switch to control the direction the screw turns. I am concerned only about (1) and (2), to power the screw conveyor and to electronically turn it on/off from the signal that the filling/packaging machinery sends.

Photo 4 shows the back of the filling/packaging machinery that supplies signals to the screw conveyor.

Photo 5 shows the power cord of the screw conveyor. I replaced the OEM adapter with the one that came with the packaging/machinery supply and connected W17X31 blk, brown & gray to 1,2,3 but this does not work to supply power. I thought W17X31 denoted power lines because I thought T1, T2, & T3 all refered to power, but am not sure.

Photo 6 shows the schematic from the filling/packaging machinery to the connector. The female ends are wired according to the blue and the pink.

How do I wire the male connector so that it works as its supposed to!? :)

My questions are:
1) can the filling/packaging supply 3 phase power via W17X31 (the pink on the schematic)? If not, what is W17X31 used for?
2) How do I wire the W17K32 (the blue on the schematic)? Can I open the on/off switch on the screw conveyor and connect the wires from the SPST power switch directly to 4 & 5 of W17K32 via running a new cable?

Thanks!

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Your start circuit is difficult to see where it conects.
You have placed a pic over the top of part of your notes.
Appears 17x-32 "infeed start" should connect to terminals 4 and 5 on 17x-31 but I see no connection to the Seimens unit.
Motor is T1 T2 and T3 but no 4 and 5.
Rather blurry pic and difficult to decipher as such.