Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Component Identification

ANavetta

Oct 10, 2017
This component is from an older programmable power supply, and that first black stripe is throwing me off.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_5683.JPG
    IMG_5683.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 93

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I'm going to mention this because I've been sucker-punched before by it.
When resistors over-heat, those painted colors can change on you.
Looks like Black, Red, Black, Silver, Orange to me,. but having been fooled before, I don't bet on them anymore.
Can you get an ohmmeter reading across it? It'll be a low-value reading.
Do you know what it came out of to get the actual value from a schematic?

ANavetta

Oct 10, 2017
Unfortunately I do not have a schematic and there does not appear to be one readily available online
. I do think you are correct on the color bands. The part that makes me a little uneasy is that it is 5 bands, and the first is black. Do I just read that as 0.2 Ohms 1% on the 4 band code and ignore the first 0. Not something I have encountered before.

Thank you.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I do think you are correct on the color bands. The part that makes me a little uneasy is that it is 5 bands, and the first is black. Do I just read that as 0.2 Ohms 1% on the 4 band code and ignore the first 0. Not something I have encountered before.

As said above ... the first band may not be black
I have never in 50 yrs of electronics seen a resistor with a black first band. It's more likely to be a heat discoloured brown band

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Judging by the wire that's used to form the resistive part it's going to be sub-1Ω.

WHERE in the circuit did this part come from?

What is the make/model of the PSU anyway? Someone may know the whereabouts of or even have a schematic.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It looks like it's gotten very hot, but maybe not so hot as to make it go open circuit.

If it is open circuit you may be able to expose a part of the wire near the middle of the resistor and measure the resistance to one end (and double it).