Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Clarification of terms S:N

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
I remember reading somewhere that the main point of a circuit is having a good signal to noise ratio. hence S:N
So when I am hooking up my guitar pots, I am thinking "too much noise" and trying to clean the fender out of the gibson. Anyway, As I remember the term S:N is counter productive in the fact that a good S:N is important eg. a high signal, S:N would be delivering a ratio that is stronger in signal than it is in noise; and a low signal, S:N would be delivering more noise than signal.

In fact, there is really no identification of good S:N because some applications require more noise.

So you build "whatever" with the proper S:N for the device to work right.

In transducer data transfer, this is extremely important(guitar pickups are transducers) because the wrong S:N kills the signal.

I need to clarify this somehow, Where most commercial guitar electronics include a grounding that taps into all the fine controls bodys, the bridge, and then finally to the output jack, the noise I get is really crackly and sometimes buzzing so loud that I can't here the transducers over the hum. I chose to bias the input and output, with the controls, as junctions. That way, I don't have a noisy pot case in the signal... result is a better S:N. but it is still quite noisy on some settings, others are crystal clear.
I don't think there is a filter that can clean it up. I think I just have to find a way to not include the parts that are noisy(cheapo guitar electronics...not my bag, gotta find a fix)

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Most issues revolve around grounding i.e. earth loops. Use a single, central earthing point for all ground connections in the instrument (usually the back of the main volume potentiometer), use a QUALITY plug/socket connection at the output and QUALITY leads to the amplifier.

If you get noise when turning any control then you're using dirty and/or cheap rotary controls. Again 'quality counts'.

This should eliminate any noise from the guitar/instrument all the way up to the input of the amplifier. The amplifier, of course, can introduce its own problems as far as grounding/earth loops are concerned.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
A pot that makes crackly sounds when you turn it has DC on it (caused by a leaky coupling capacitor) or it is dirty. Hum or buzzing is not "noise", it is interference caused by improper wiring. Noise is "hiss" caused by electronic parts with poor spec's.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I have liked the above three replies because I am simply impressed that you guys found something in @tedstruk's word salad post which could be answered.

On another point, I would consider hum to be noise, simply on the basis that it's not signal.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Noise is whatever is left when you subtract the signal.

(or anything that comes out when I try to play the guitar)

Bob

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I 'liked' your post because I laughed at the use of 'word salad' :D

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Since all the badges have been eliminated, except for Administrator and Moderator, perhaps @Ian can add a new badge for posters like @tedstruk and @CTP4500 and ...others. Never heard of the term "word salad" until @(*steve*) used it here, but it is funny and apropos. OTOH, many of my posts can perhaps be likened to a buffet dinner with unlimited "seconds"... but let's not go there. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.