Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Choices for stepper motors and off the shelf drives and rectifiers

lotechman

Jan 1, 2017
I have been given a track burner made in the 1960's. it is a small portable tractor unit running on a track that carries a cutting torch for cutting steel plate. The motor has died. The brush are non existent on the end of one spring and the commutator s in bad shape. I can machine up adapter plates and collars to match the gearbox I am thinking of using a NEMA 23 motor and just getting variable speed driver board with a potentiometer on it and supply it with DC current from a rectifier board taking 110v AC and making DC.
The new cost of this little tractor is around 1500 bucks. Looking online there is all kinds of stuff. Any pitfalls? I can weld but that has nothing to do with doing a good soldering job:'))
If I make some choices with motor and boards can anyone tell me if I am screwing up or have half a chance of getting the motor to turn??
Thanks

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Can you skim the commutator, taking off minimal material with a very sharp tool? Do not use any emery paper on the commutator.
Can you find brushes that fit?
Check resistance between each commutator segment. If there have been sparks between segments, then the outlook is poor. A picture would help.

lotechman

Jan 1, 2017
Can you skim the commutator, taking off minimal material with a very sharp tool? Do not use any emery paper on the commutator.
Can you find brushes that fit?
Check resistance between each commutator segment. If there have been sparks between segments, then the outlook is poor. A picture would help.
The commutator has been machined down several times by the look of it. I have already shaved down a carbon and fitted it but nothing. The rectifier board has one large metal post diode on it. This is really old electronics and I am sure the little transformer on the board has seen better days. The windings look cooked. At one point I got 41 volts DC off the little board but no longer. This unit operates inches away from an acetylene torch so it has had a great deal of heat over its life. The soldering joints look like past repairs.