Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Changing a sanyo plv-z5 bulb to an LED

rmkscrambler

Mar 22, 2011
Hi I have been thinking about trying to modify my sanyo plv-z5 projector to run an LED instead of a HID bulb.
I am a machinist so making things fit wont be a problem, but I know just enough about electronics to get me in trouble.

So hears what I have so far. I have found a 50W LED that should work for what I need it is the right size to fit in the lamp cradle, it has a 6000K color spectrum and is rated at 3500LM.
The projector is only 1100LM but I figure their is some loss from the bulb to the screen. The LED comes with a power supply that has an input voltage rating of 110V-265Vac.

The projector had an HID bulb which means it has a ballast to run the bulb, to the best of my understanding the ballast provides a "375V ?" starting pulse and then runs at "15v?" once the bulb is lit. So I need to find a way to either create a circuit that could use the current power supply
and drive the LED or bypass the ballast in a way that the projector would still think the HID bulb is lit. If I just use an alternate power source the projector will throw a bulb error and shut down.

I found a service manual with schematics at this site
section 7 http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download.php?fileid=42273
section 12 http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download.php?fileid=42278

section 7 and 12 appear to be the most relevant but then I'm not the best at reading electrical diagrams.

So I guess I need to know if this project even sounds do able I don't mind doing research and learning but I may need someone with a better understanding of circuitry to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
interesting project.

Unfortunately there's probably no way to get around the lamp error operation, as that will be programmed into the controller mPU. Unless you can think of some way to fool the system into thinking there is still a standard lamp installed. Although I have done my time servicing projectors. trying to do what you are wanting to achieve I havent heard of anyone else attempting.

Dave

rmkscrambler

Mar 22, 2011
Thanks for the reply davenn I am afraid you may be right.

Ill continue for awhile to see what I can learn.

an update to what I have learned so far I do know that the RX lamp line that comes out of the ballast (pin #1) is the lamp status signal.(page 4 of the section 7 pdf)
I just haven't figured out what that signal is to falsify it. I think it is just a 5v signal but not sure yet. The other option I am considering mainly because I Dont want to fry the projector is to make a circuit that would mimic the bulb, but I don't know enough about HID bulbs to do so yet.