Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ceramic filter pinout and help with a 455khz BFO

Richard9025

May 24, 2016
Hi !
I salvaged a 455khz ceramic filter from a CB radio , but I cant find any datasheets or relevant info on the internet
Some photos :

WhatsApp Image 2017-07-01 at 9.24.27 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2017-07-01 at 9.24.27 PM(1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2017-07-01 at 9.24.27 PM(1) - Copy.jpeg

If you can't determine which pin is which , I can take some photos of the radio that it was extracted from (eurocb micro 2) , maybe a schematic and the photos will get the answer .
Now with the BFO (it is based on the model from IK1ZYW http://spazioinwind.libero.it/ik1zyw/hardware/osc455.html)
In the following schematic I assumed that pin 1 is output , pin 2 ground and pin 3 input :

455KHZ BFO no outp - Copy.jpg

The votage regulator works , from an input of 9V i get 5.1V
Now , to test if it works , I connected it to an SDR , but I can't see the oscillation on 455khz :
With it connected , I dont see anything , no change
But if I rotate R2 (a multiturn , 10 turns , pot) or I just get near the bfo , look at what happens , if I get away , it dissapears :

553ud2-2.png

Yeaa , messy stuff

Thanks !

Last edited by a moderator:

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Richard9025

There would be two uses for a BFO . . . one would be for the use of the reception of upper and lower SSB VOICE communications .

The other would be for the reception of code signals .... . .-.. .-.. --- --- ---.

If the former, can you tolerate the audio rate modulating square wave frequency that the '14 is generating in order to "BANG" the ceramic filter into shocked state operation, in order to generate its 455khz signal.

As for using it on the latter situation of receiving a code signal, that might be permissible, if it doesn't heterodyne with the converted audio signal.

Most people typically will use an already on hand or easily locatable 455 khz IF transformer in a conventional oscillator circuit to get their pure sine BFO signal..

DIFFERENT SITUATION NOW . . . .

If that is your signal above . . . . . that situation is now being different, as you are banging the unit with a 22.8 khz driving signal, which would be up on in the ultrasonic range.
No problems.

73's de Edd

Last edited: