Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Cell phone call routing

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
I've been looking around on google for a bit but I can't get around call center call routing. Which is if someone calls my tech support line at 5:00 pm it will go here vs if they call at 5:00 am, which is cool unto itself. My question is if I normally live in Oregon and I suddenly fly to New Zealand, then my friend calls my phone number how does the cell network know what paths to take and where to transmit the call from? I was thinking about this and I have an idea but I don't know if it's right. My idea was as soon as I were to land in the Kiwi nation my phone would ping a cell tower and basically say here I am. Then my phone's ID would be passed into some sort of international list that is 7.3 billion numbers long. Which thinking on it wouldn't actually be a huge amount of data. Then the network would have a pre selected route and use a travelling salesman type problem to get my call to me. Is this about right? Also makes me wonder when I type in www.electronicspoint.com how does my computer know which other computer to talk to? Probably something similar? Does this process have a name?

Thanks for any info, I find this stuff fascinating.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
My question is if I normally live in Oregon and I suddenly fly to New Zealand, then my friend calls my phone number how does the cell network know what paths to take and where to transmit the call from?

as long as your cellphone is in contact with the network ( any network) then it's location is known
There is constant polling/pinging between phone and the closest cell tower. For you, flying to NZ is no different than if you flew to NY city

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
"I type in www.electronicspoint.com how does my computer know which other computer to talk to? Probably something similar? Does this process have a name?"

Yes this process has a name, it is called the Internet Protocol (IP) you can start here.

When you type a site name in your browser.
The following happens:
1.Your browser connects to a DNS(Domain name server) which has a fixed ,known to all IP address.
2. The DNS returns the IP address of the site (practically, translates the site name to it's unique IP ).
3. Your browser now connects "directly" to the correct IP,that is done by the routing capability of the internet web.

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
"I type in www.electronicspoint.com how does my computer know which other computer to talk to? Probably something similar? Does this process have a name?"

Yes this process has a name, it is called the Internet Protocol (IP) you can start here.

When you type a site name in your browser.
The following happens:
1.Your browser connects to a DNS(Domain name server) which has a fixed ,known to all IP address.
2. The DNS returns the IP address of the site (practically, translates the site name to it's unique IP ).
3. Your browser now connects "directly" to the correct IP,that is done by the routing capability of the internet web.
Thank you that was very helpful!

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
as long as your cellphone is in contact with the network ( any network) then it's location is known
There is constant polling/pinging between phone and the closest cell tower. For you, flying to NZ is no different than if you flew to NY city

Yes you were invisuible, I read the bottom one and didnt see the others. This comment is very helpful too.