Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Carpenters mistake

DVF

Nov 8, 2017
My clock/radio was working intermittently with what I thought was a broken wire, where the power cord entered the body. I foolishly didn't keep track of wire colours when I melted the solder connections to remove the power cord. Can anyone help with which way the black and white wires from the power cord are supposed to be re-soldered, please? Is the black on the right or left (on the soldering side)? If I was a guessing man I'd say the rectangular box indicates black on the left because the 1 in the box indicates 'power', right or wrong?
About the pictures: pictures of the same end of the circuit board, front and back. Top pic: GCI 1V0 94V-0 cn301 Bottom pic: SONY P301 ICF-c793 1-716-151-12(2) 1-671-842-12 P7 07 99.02.02 T301

THANKS TO ALL WHO ANSWER!
nov 2017 016.JPG nov 2017 017.JPG

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Doesn't matter - either way will work and be perfectly safe.

DVF

Nov 8, 2017
@kellys_eye Good eye there, Kellys_eye. But I don't know if I'll concern myself with it, though. That blob is original from the factory and hasn't interfered with operation for 20 some years.

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
The solder blob is a clumsy mistake from factory with no harm as the traces join below, but better remove it as it may be poorly held and if comes loose from vibration it may contact something doing real harm.

DVF

Nov 8, 2017
The solder blob is a clumsy mistake from factory with no harm as the traces join below, but better remove it as it may be poorly held and if comes loose from vibration it may contact something doing real harm.

Externet. Good call but I've done my cord fix and its all put together. I won't re-open unless for another serious need. God bless.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
The solder blob is a clumsy mistake from factory with no harm as the traces join below

don't think so .... they are separate connections see the white overlay stripes between each contact/track on CN301

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
ONE FINAL PLEA . . . . .

Carpenter . . . . ehhhhhhhh . . . .

Assuming that you have seen INNNNNNNNNNUMMMMMMMMMERABLE nails on the worksite and assuming that if to see one of them sticking out of a tire on your vehicle . . . . now I ask you . . .would it be receiving the same lackadaisical / languid / irresponsive chain of thought such as this solder drop / splash is receiving ?

POINTS OF PHOTO REFERENCING ARE . . . . . .
Top photo on post #1
Dupe/ partial sole photo on post #4

Looks like that Sony unit has given you YEARS of service and WILL potentially give you a like further amount . . . . in spades . . . . . if considered.

Considering the due diligence given by Sony final Quality Control inspections I can't see that even starting to get by that inspection.

Since you were soldering in the line cord and remembering the physical plane that the radio was positioned in . . . .what are the chances of your unsoldering and resoldering in, could have had that excess blob roll down and come to rest across those two terminals.
The particulate solder trail is originating at the top of the board and the final roundness of he blob is indicative of there never being anything but a cooled blob coming to rest in its place.

As far as the soldered connections, that it had come to rest across . . .the white overlay of silk screening hides the reality that FOUR separate connections exist at the very bottom of the board.

Two are being as a transformer winding connected to the left.
Then two more to the right are connected to a separate transformer winding.
4 separate wires finally route away on the back side of this minor PCB to the main chassis.

This 1-435-503-11 Power Transformer . . . . . . No Longer Available . . . . but if it was . . . .Sony last listed $55 for it.

ITS REFERENCING . . .per its SCHEMATIC . . . .

Sony clock radio PTfmr.png

All it would take is a re examination and even a pair of neeedle nose to grab the blob and rotate free and then inspect to see that no minor bridging solder residue is still present . . . . which I don't expect, due to the solidity of the blob after cool down in its final rolling down that distance. . . . but it DID leave a hot trail of solder residue on insignificant board surfacing its way down.

Thassssssit . . . . .

73's de Edd

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The solder blob is a clumsy mistake from factory
Looks to me as if the blob was created by the OP de-soldering the original leads based on where the 'tracking' runs from. The manufacturing process (solder reflow/bath) isn't capable of making a soldering 'error' of that type.

DVF

Nov 8, 2017
Well, people, we are paying way too much attention to this blob, but I do complement you all for your good eyes and technical expertise, not to mention the efforts put forward to save my Sony from further damage. From the appearance of the pic it would indicate that I had de-soldered this power cord with the circuit board in a vertical position. Thus, the deception of the pic and lack of thought, on you evidence gatherers, to make such an erroneous assumption. It was de-soldered in a horizontal orientation, and re-soldered the same, and could not have produced this blob. Let's put the blame on Sony's tech or subcontractors, who most definitely have been long ago fired for such shoddy work or perhaps even dead, God rest their souls.

bushtech

Sep 13, 2016
Well, I suppose the proof of the pudding happens when you switch it on with the blob in place

DVF

Nov 8, 2017
Bushtech, as I've said in previous replies it is and has been functioning properly for a few days now.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Bushtech, as I've said in previous replies it is and has been functioning properly for a few days now.
More by good luck than any other process!

If the blob wasn't made by 'you' it was made by someone else but not the factory manufacturing process. The blob is separated from being a total short circuit by virtue of some residual flux only, so if isn't properly cleared will cause a dead short at some time in the future - with the attendant damage that results in.

DVF

Nov 8, 2017
More by good luck than any other process!

If the blob wasn't made by 'you' it was made by someone else but not the factory manufacturing process. The blob is separated from being a total short circuit by virtue of some residual flux only, so if isn't properly cleared will cause a dead short at some time in the future - with the attendant damage that results in.

Kellys_eye, I've never worked in a Sony or other factory and so I'd need to take your word on this. Again, thanks for the obvious concern you have for the proper functioning of my electronics. This Sony has been with me for at least 20 years, perhaps 30, and has been such a beautiful piece of electronics. I'd hate to lose it, no matter what the reason.