Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Capacitor?

RonD

Jun 30, 2017
I have little experience with electronics. Now that that's out of the way, here is my question with a little background:
I was recently removing potting epoxy from a speed log transducer that failed. During removal of the material with a dremel tool, I inadvertently cut into a disc capacitor. Once all of the potting was removed the capacitor was unidentifiable, except that I managed to recover the apparently ceramic disc. I could see where the electrodes were attached and with my dmm set on capacitance, I took a reading at the points where the electrodes were originally connected. The reading was .36nf.
The disc is 5mm dia.
The question: Is it reasonable to presume that the reading value is correct as the disc was intact just the outer covering was destroyed?
The fault in the log was a burned junction at the positive terminal at the pcb. This had no proximity to the capacitor.
The log transducer: Input voltage - 12vdc, 4 wires(2 supply voltage and 2 output channels, 1 speed by hall effect sensor, 1 temperature method unknown).
Any wisdom appreciated.
Ron

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Can you take a picture of the damaged capacitor and post it for us to see?
Thanks
Adam

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
There's a good chance a cap that size would have a value the same as or close to what you measured. 330pF, 360pF and 390pF are standard values.

RonD

Jun 30, 2017
Adam: I think I posted a photo of the cap and board for your reference.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Oh my... you didn't just cut into it, you cut it in half lol :) I don't think you are going to be able to tell what capacitor that is from the damage that has been done.
Adam