Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Capacitor for 240v 1/4 hp vintage lathe.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
In a standard run-of-the-mill connection plate, one would normally expect ....

A1 and A2 to be the run winding

Z1 and Z2 to be the start winding and centrifugal switch.

Link between Z2 and A2 as a common point ( neutral supply) with capacitor connected across Z1 and A1.

However........ the red wires which I suspect are the run winding have been shifted ( easy to interchange)
Only measuring the coils will give the correct sequence.

This would naturally have to be done with all windings disconnected AND by seeing what pin configuration is behind the centrifugal switch plate.

One thing is certain, it may have had reversing once-upon-a-time but not with what you have there presently.

If you can supply a well drawn out wiring connection of what is there with respect to the relay arrangement, it would be possible to confirm if that is correct.
At present it is just simply a rats nest.i.e. no numbering, no colour code nothing to differentiate what goes where except for having to do a point to point reconstruction.

David Aungier

Sep 4, 2017
I am very grateful for the group of learned members who have made the effort to help me to sort out my problem. Unfortunately we have reached the stage where I start to glaze over tracing wires and getting technical because my understanding of electronics is minimal. Whilst I understand that the 'package' is a bit off the wall, it DID use to work and ran in both directions when I first bought it. I am wondering if there are two things going on here which is confusing things. No doubt the cap had become faulty and having replaced that, there has been an improvement in that it now runs at normal speed going forward but only slowly in reverse. Do any of the group think it could be possible that another fault might have occurred, within the relay (pos contacts) which prevents the motor getting up to centrifugal switch speed in reverse and that is why the motor stays at the start speed in reverse.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
If you can supply a well drawn out wiring connection
Yes, this is going to be key to fixing the issue. Starting another thread is pointless - we NEED the information before we can offer assistance.

If you can't make a wiring diagram then spread the wires out so we can see where they all go - the current set of pictures are a 'jumble' of information that is almost impossible to decipher!