Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Capacitor explosion??

Wickersham

Dec 30, 2016
I had been using a submersible pump to empty a pool. The second time I went to start it it would not start. I thought it possibly had something lodged in the impeller. I used a stick to turn the impeller, it was not stuck and then the motor starting turning slow at first and then went slowly ramped up to full speed. The next time I went to use it it did not start again. I unplugged it and accidentally dropped the unplugged cord and it fell in the water resulting in the pump exploding, popping the cord out of the motor housing. Could this have been a problem with the capacitor? If so why would it explode when the cord fell in the water?

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Welcome to EP.
When the pump was unplugged the start/run capacitor could have been left in a fully charged state and then discharged rapidly through the water. I'm surprised, though, that the water conductivity was high enough to allow sufficient current to cause an explosion.

Rayregula

Dec 20, 2016
The amount of time between unplugging the cord and it falling in the pool must have been pretty short for it to explode especially for a capacitor that drives a motor. It shouldn't have had enough charge left to do anything and to pop the cord from the motor housing? I would suggest moving your outlets away from the pool for starters, take it apart and have a look. And maybe upload a photo for me I would like to see the damage. :)

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Sounds to me like the capacitor was rats before the accidental drowning of the plug.
Refer ............" The second time I went to start it it would not start. I thought it possibly had something lodged in the impeller. I used a stick to turn the impeller"
As for the "explosion", stories like this come up every day when things fail to work.