Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Can the slipring handle the current?

Emil

Aug 15, 2015
Hello,

I'm currently working on a project. For this project I'm using a slipring rated:

Voltage: 240 VAC/DC
Current 2A per circuits
Circuits: 12

My plan is to supply current and signal to servos through this slipring, and I'm little unsure about if the wire/slipring will handle the current. I've planned to supply enough current for all 6-7 servos to be funcional at the same time.

The Power supply itself would supply with 5v and 10A.

The signal would come from an arduino, with a power supply by itself (9v battery). I know the basic wiring to have all ground connected together, to avoid problems between two power supplies.

What I'm wondering is if there is any essential things I would need to think through when it comes to the wiring through the slipring. As I've pictured. When the servos draw more than 2A together, there will most likely be more than 2A going through the positive- and ground wire. The splitting and distribution will happen above the slipring. and wired up parrallell to give equal voltage.

With more than 2A (let's say 10A) and 5v, through the slipring in a single wire, would it for sure ruin it?
Is there some tweaking I could do? And is there something I've forgotten when it comes to putting on a P.S. with 5v and 10A to the servos. And if only 1 servo is going. Will that servo be safe with a 5v 10A P.S.?

I'm new to the understanding of Power Supply, I would appreciate if you took your time.

Last edited:

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
I have absolutely no idea what you are doing but delivering a signal or power through a sliding contact produces an enormous amount of noise and this is the first thing that will mess up all your results.

ADRT

Nov 25, 2014
I have absolutely no idea what you are doing but delivering a signal or power through a sliding contact produces an enormous amount of noise and this is the first thing that will mess up all your results.
That's not necessarily so. We have a robotic stretch wrapper at my work and all the signals to the wrapper head go through slip rings. One of these signals is a 0-10 vdc signal witch tells the wrapper how tight the wrap is. The wrapper will then make adjustments to the tension of the wrap based on the feedback from the head. Once the tension board on the head has been calibrated it actually works quite well. I haven't had to recalibrate in a couple of years actually.

ADRT

Nov 25, 2014
Hello,

I'm currently working on a project. For this project I'm using a slipring rated:

Voltage: 240 VAC/DC
Current 2A per circuits
Circuits: 12

My plan is to supply current and signal to servos through this slipring, and I'm little unsure about if the wire/slipring will handle the current. I've planned to supply enough current for all 6-7 servos to be funcional at the same time.

The Power supply itself would supply with 5v and 10A.

The signal would come from an arduino, with a power supply by itself (9v battery). I know the basic wiring to have all ground connected together, to avoid problems between two power supplies.

What I'm wondering is if there is any essential things I would need to think through when it comes to the wiring through the slipring. As I've pictured. When the servos draw more than 2A together, there will most likely be more than 2A going through the positive- and ground wire. The splitting and distribution will happen above the slipring. and wired up parrallell to give equal voltage.

With more than 2A (let's say 10A) and 5v, through the slipring in a single wire, would it for sure ruin it?
Is there some tweaking I could do? And is there something I've forgotten when it comes to putting on a P.S. with 5v and 10A to the servos. And if only 1 servo is going. Will that servo be safe with a 5v 10A P.S.?

I'm new to the understanding of Power Supply, I would appreciate if you took your time.
What are your servos rated at?

ADRT

Nov 25, 2014
And if only 1 servo is going. Will that servo be safe with a 5v 10A P.S.?
Depends on what the servo is rated for. The PS is rated to supply 10 amps max but that doesn't mean it is going to push 10 amps. It all depends on how much current the circuit will draw. If the servos draw 1 amp then the PS is only going to put out 1 amp. If the servos are going to draw 12amps then you will be overdrawing the PS and something will fail. Most likely a fuse in the PS.

ADRT

Nov 25, 2014
When sizing a circuit for a motor the U.S. Electrical code states that all conductors in the circuit must be rated at 125% of the motors full load. Without knowing the load of the circuit it is impossible to tell you if this will work or not. If you do put 10 amps through the slip ring they will heat up and yes they will fail.

Emil

Aug 15, 2015
The servos are rated 4.8 ~ 6v. They are standard servos, so I would guess a single one would draw less than 2A. The only problem would be the power distribution. I should have 2 wires slipring that can handle 10A, but it would kind of ruin the design. Only if I could have that extra slipring wrapped around the first one. Then it wouldn't be any problem. And add some filtering for the excessive noise that will be created.