Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Can I cut/split a pcb into half, then solder the traces back together?

Raul.Dia

Nov 3, 2015
Hi all! first post here.

I have an 49key midi keyboard that is working fine, for transportation reasons I want to be able to carry my keyboard in 2 separate pieces then connect the 2 piece's via somekind of connector adapter when I use it.

the only problem is one of the pcb's size, its 67cm long.
So I thought would it be possible to cut the pcb into half then solder the trace's back together?
This pcb have sensors that collect's velocity and time accurate midi info when key's are pressed and then forward's it to the main board to be sent to the computer via usb port.
There is one good spot in pcb that allows to cut it into half, then I would have to solder about 14 trace's back together.

5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

-Can this be done?
-If so, what kind of wires & connection adapter to use ?
-would this add any latency?
-What another risks there might be?

Electrodogs

Nov 3, 2015
Yes it can be done I would recommend using some plastic sheets for the extra work and make them removable try buying a fourteen strip tape wire and soldering all the traces to it (make sure no metal is touching)and connect them where they should be on the other side now remove the plastic board as long as there is no time delaying components added it should not destroy the receiving. If you just want to take it apart and put it together you should do it just as you suggested in the problem. caution: since your keyboard is so small I suspect that some solder may eat through the glass on the board also once too much solder leaks onto the board it will short circuit all the parts on it and then your screwed. For more then one piece I do not know what to do (I suck with adapters)

Hope this helped sorry if it did not :cool:

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hola Raul,
NO YOU CANNOT DO IT!!
Judging by the photographs, the board has layers. How many I don't know.

Martin