Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Building my own bench drill

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Miguel, I'm still not certain what exactly your questions are but here's a tip. This is a series of "How To" printings published by Dave Gingery.
http://gingerybooks.com/

He published all sorts of backyard, redneck, low budget how to's. One of his most famous endeavors was a machinist's lathe that built itself..... sort of. ;)

Chris

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
Miguel, I'm still not certain what exactly your questions are

Chris, re-reading this again, have to say that I'm not sure about which question fron me are you not certain, as the only question that i have asked here are about the anti-virus alerts that the ImageBam pictures.

I have not asked any question about the drill itself, as I really doubt that any answer could be useful to me, as my reality is very diferent from most of the other forum members.

My old man was a mechanic, a very good one indeed. He built his own bench drill and also attempted to build his own lathe, but as he wasn't a turner, the lathe wasn't finished. It is half-made still in our shed. As I'm not a turner neither, I'm not trying to build a lathe neither (althought I would like to have one to learn), From my old man, I learned to work with what I have at hand, which usually is not enough or not the best, but the other option would be stay seated waiting for the best pieces to appear, and usually that leads to nothing. That is not an option, at least for me.

I really apretiate the link that you gave me and I will readi eagerly to get new ideas. I'm always open to new ideas, as one of my College teachers said:"all together know more than any single person"

Now an update.
The drill suffered a set back. I couldn't align the two anular pieces together. Once I welded any point, the anular pieces got stuck in the pillar, due to missalignment. I tried several times with the same results.

I was trying to use the method that my old man used for his drill, but as he worked in a mechanic workshop, I think that he built the sliding arrangement, and then he mounted it in a lathe with a four jaws chuck, and then he aligned the anular pieces. I can't do that. Now I'm thinking to build a one piece sliding arrangement, to avoid stucking by welding. I will let you know once I have it.

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Miguel, welding (especially arc welding) will invariably warp metal to some extent. That's why if a machinist is working a project that requires welding he tries his best to leave required precision machining procedures subsequent to the welding.

I don't know about everyone else following this thread but I'm having a difficult time following your construction descriptions without photos. Please post the photos of the welded parts.

Chris

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
In fact, I took the camera with me yesterday, but as the work failed I did not took any picture. Well, I took one of the teeth of the pillar. I will post it next week. Sorry

On the other hand, I have not done much advance on this project yet. I will post pictures of it once I make a significant advance.

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
I'll be looking forward to it but it's unfortunate that you didn't take any pix of the failed vertical slide mechanism. It's difficult to comment on a mechanism we don't have visuals of. ;)

Chris

Last edited:

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
Here the back side of the pillar showing teeth. I will post pictures of everything once I have advances.

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Thanks for posting the rack side of that shaft but it leaves me even more confused. I expected it to be hollow to accept the rotating spindle that holds the chuck at the bottom end and the pulley at the top end.

On another note I accidentally clicked on the first image you posted in this post..
https://www.electronicspoint.com/threads/building-my-own-bench-drill.279033/#post-1695114

That image is still making Malware Bytes nervous. I think it should be removed for the safety of other members.

Chris

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Well you have access to editing or removing it. Why wait for the mods to do it?

Chris

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
CDRIVE said:
having a difficult time following your construction descriptions without photos. Please post the photos of the welded parts.

Sorry, a bit delayed but this is what I was talking about.

Now it is a single sliding piece welded to the C-beams, and it does not need alignment.

And now this is how it is till now.

The drill fully down.

The drill fully up

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Miguel, thanks for posting the photos. It certainly clears things up.

Chris

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
This is a picture of the drill that my old man build in the 70s. I'm using this one to build the other, both as tool and as model.

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Miguel, is light machine oil hard to find in Cuba too? Looking at all of your photos you seem to have no shortage of rust though!

Chris

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
Oil, grease, paint,...everything is scarse here. Rust is not. But that is not the reason. The drill has grease and oil in the vital parts. Most materials used here are retrieved from unused things, very oftenly from dumped things, so they are rusted. That is not the reason neither.

Rust is something that a good wire brush and some paint can solve easily. I will paint my drill once finished as my wife demands it. I would leave rusted if it would remain in my house.

As my old man said: "if rust is not in a vital part, let it live and it will let you live". So, why to get worry about rust if the machine does its job?.

I think the sentences above, is the real reason for so many rust.

PS. You should see my vice and my sheet cutter......rusty, rusty, rusty......but working.

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
Mr Time has been implacable with me, but I have found the way to work on this project. This weekend I finally assembled it. Althought I want to improve it with some turnery pieces, it works how it is. Of course it need painting, and I promise ti paint it before put in service. First I have to build a metal bench as the one that I have is wooden made and will not stand the weigh of this ........thing.

Here a blurry picture of the assembled beast. I took this picture with my cell phone in the twilight so the picture is very bad and it is just to give an idea of what I'm talking about. I promise better pictures soon.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Is it possible to get Naval Jelly there, works wonders on rust.
M.

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
A properly made wood bench would easily support that little drill press.

Chris

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
Is it possible to get Naval Jelly there
Saddly not. I will solve it with wire brush and sand paper

A properly made wood bench would easily support that little drill press
Sure. The drill of my old man is placed above a wooden bench, but the bench that I have lacks the words "properly made". I don't have wood, but I have metal, so, my solution will not be a wooden one.

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
With the motor, spindle and spindle bearings removed you could sand blast it.

Chris