Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Building auto-play MP3 player circuit

lad.ruz

Sep 8, 2014
Hello!

So, I have a present packed in a cardboard box and I'd like to have a circuit that would play MP3 (or WAV or OGG; anything but MIDI) sound/song when the box is opened. Since the circuit would be fitted on the inner side of the lid of the box, it should have photo diode to turn it on when the box is opened.

I've found this module that is capable of playing a song from the beginning each time it's turned on: http://www.emartee.com/product/41540/MP3-Sound-Module-Mini-SD-Card

However, I know nothing about electronics so I actually need someone to draw me a circuit so I could find someone near me to build it. I know I wouldn't like Arduino since I'm not sure it would fit into a box. Or, maybe, some place on the Internet where I could buy finalized product.

Can anyone help?

Tnx

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Welcome to our forum.
What if someone opens the box in the dark?

May I suggest a different approach? As the moddule turns on when power is applied (at least you say so), use a mechanical switch that is open when the box is closed an d that closes when the box is opened. Put this switch in line with the power supply of the module and bob's your uncle.
You can use an off the shelf switch or even simply two contacts (e.g. pieces of copper) that are pushed against each other by opening the box.
Very simple, no electronics involved and works at night, too :)

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Welcome to our forum.
What if someone opens the box in the dark?

May I suggest a different approach? As the moddule turns on when power is applied (at least you say so), use a mechanical switch that is open when the box is closed an d that closes when the box is opened. Put this switch in line with the power supply of the module and bob's your uncle.
You can use an off the shelf switch or even simply two contacts (e.g. pieces of copper) that are pushed against each other by opening the box.
Very simple, no electronics involved and works at night, too :)
The little sensors used on fire escape doors will work like a charm. Just make sure the contacts are normally open when the magnet is near and when the box opens... well, you've read Harald's post.
They can be found at Radioshack, or hopefully TheSource.
Something like this > http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12706327
but be careful, as this product does not state if it is a normally open, or normally closed switch! They are missing a very very important detail.

This solution will not allow any current draw either, so it should be able to stay wrapped for much much longer without the battery failing ;)