Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Build A Notebook from ITX + reroute PCIe signal

computernoob

Feb 24, 2009
Hi, I'm new here.

I've been mulling over the idea for some time now about building a laptop with decent gaming potential from mATX / ITX form factor stuff. I would also like to reroute the PCIe signal to the back of the "laptop" so...

perhaps one of these
MSI IM-Q35

a PCIe angle converter socket thing

it would need some batteries, a recharge circuit. a pico psu from LinITX, low power processor, ram, SSD, some kind of LCD that could connect to the onboard graphics but be disabled when external is plugged in. the external would connect to an external screen, or could be somehow re-routed back to the onboard.

quite a challenge, mainly because nobody has tried to get an ITX motherboard working like a notebook before.

from a purely power point of view are there any rechargable batteries that could total 12v and keep the PICO PSU supplied with enough juice for a length of time? not sure on the motherboard's power draw but it would be modest/medium, say 60w?

comments..

computernoob

Feb 24, 2009
i've decided against doing this until there are some decent ITX motherboards with a 16X PCI-e and good 4Gb RAM compatibility....