Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Broken solder joints on flight controller for DJI Phantom 3 Pro

Soro

May 26, 2017
Hi,

I am working on repairing a DJI Phantom 3 Pro. After opening up and diagnosing the drone I have found that the solder joints that connect the flight controller to the rest of the board have been separated.

The flight controller board is separate from the main board and is housed in the center. The only thing keeping it connected to the main board is the solder joints. After a crash, part of the flight controller board was pushed past the main board.

I need to bring it back to the same level as the main circuit board and resolder those contacts. I've tried to push it back but it won't budge.

I would rather not resolder all of the contacts but that might be needed.

I've attached pictures to help explain.

Thanks for any help.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 51
  • JH-1.jpg
    JH-1.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 54
  • JH-2.jpg
    JH-2.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 50

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
Had a similar fault on a Vibration Force-feedback joystick's daughter-board (repaired successfully).
As Vcc is 3V5 and 5V your daughter-board most likely uses CMOS IC's.
Anti-static precautions advised.
If you don't have a butane gas-powered soldering iron, you could try grounding your electric iron's barrel to nearest cold-water feed, to dissipate stray leakage / static.
Unfortunately, it looks like de-soldering (braid and/or pump) then re-soldering is the only option.
Also check for cracked/torn tracks & bridge-over as required.

Soro

May 26, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions FuZZ1L0G1C. I've got some flux on the way now. Excited to see how it turns out.